Anyone else see how pointless "Slide to Unlock" is?

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I wish the iPhone would self destruct for all the people that continue to come up with these request that were never ment to be included in the phone...every flippin commercial almost shows the slide to unlock feature ...some of you people are so smart and have such bright ideas you should make some hacks and fix your own phones
I wish People would grow up and learn what a Forum is. There is no need for all this negative BS on this Forum. As for hacking it, it takes time. Running Vista and never owned a MAC. Compaibility and Conversion issues. Maybe one day my iPhone will run Vista Mobile. Just Kidding, looking at buying a MAC now (to get a better understanding)

As for the original reason of this Post; I see your point, but at first the iPhone was designed with a plastic screen. The touch screen sensitivity may not have been like the one of the glass screen and needed a slider to prevent buttons from being pushed.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I'm not near my charger, but I thought it woke up when you removed it.

Britna

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I think the slide to unlock button is fun!

:laugh2:

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
lol people get real defensive when you attack the iPhone, I mean we are iPhone owners too, I use my iPhone a lot while I'm at work and after I use it it goes into sleep, I probably slide to unlock 50 times a day, and it does get annoying lol its not about being lazy its just its annoying, not to mention when it fails to unlock when a call comes in. Had low battery the other day (10percent) and the Slide to unlock wouldn't respond So I was screwed out of a phone call lol

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us
clam shell phone

OMG I used to get so tired opening my old clam shell phone; can you imagine, I had to open it each time to use it... so tired... must go lie down...

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
I cant believe this type topic went to have a thread at 3 pages this is pointless lol imo..

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
lol people get real defensive when you attack the iPhone, I mean we are iPhone owners too, I use my iPhone a lot while I'm at work and after I use it it goes into sleep, I probably slide to unlock 50 times a day, and it does get annoying lol its not about being lazy its just its annoying, not to mention when it fails to unlock when a call comes in. Had low battery the other day (10percent) and the Slide to unlock wouldn't respond So I was screwed out of a phone call lol

LOL, its obvious that some people's idea of a forum is a place to go to say how great your devise is.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I don't think it has as much to do with the side buttons as it does the "other button" on the phone.

You know, that bright one, that's 3.5" across, and can be easily touched and activated?

I think too many people complain with to many things about this phone
IAWTP. This is probably the most ridiculous complaint i've seen, yet.
Imagine the phone with no "lock" feature. Imagine that everytime your finger or anything else brushes past it, it opens some program, dials a number, or starts Safari....

I'll happily "slide to unlock", when I actually WANT to use the phone.
It's no different than if you were using a flip phone, and had to open the clasp everytime you wanna use it.

nyc_rock said:
LOL, its obvious that some people's idea of a forum is a place to go to say how great your devise is.
Unfortunately, some people's idea of a forum is a place to complain, and nothing else. I wish we could open a forum JUST for complaints. Alot of us here are perfectly happy with the 1.0 phone, and are dealing with it's "shortcomings", with ease. Some people seem to think that they need to keep re-iterating the same complaints, over and over. They'll even search for and FIND multiple threads about a specific complaint, and still post another thread, bringing it up for discussion, AGAIN. Like suddenly, everyone just realized that there's no "easily accessible" MMS feature.
We've known this since a few months ago, and YES, we also have lack of the same features you're missing. We don't need another thread explaining that YOUR particular phone is missing this or that, and asking if "anyone else has this issue?". OF COURSE WE DO!

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
Exactly , if there was no lock feature how many people would complain about that..

Honestly that would be something to complain about if the phone had no lock feature.

Its like day after day people complain about a feature on the phone no1 is ever fukin happy lol

evilhomer

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
I agree. This thread and most of the others in the forum are pointless. This is the first device specific forum that I've been a part of that has more users (windows fan boys?) trashing the device than people talking about important things like tips and tricks and so forth. Not that those posts aren't there, it's just that you can't post anything good, positive or even halfway constructive about the device without a bunch of, what sounds like Tweeners, jumping in to bash the crap out of it. It's annoying.

And the whinning! Vansouza is correct. This is the same thing as bitching becasue you have to flip your phone open to use it.

This phone does EXCATELY what it claimed it would do. Is there room for improvement? Of course? And there will be. If you don't like the iPhone and you use your Palm or Windows based devices, please, go hang out that those forums. Not to say that constructive criticism should be welcomed but the childish bashing and trashing is just miseralbe and unnecessary.

This forum is in BAD need of some serious moderation. As much as I liked this forum in the beginning, and think there are a great many users here who are Apple and iPhone enthusist who have a lot to offer, all the little teenage dorks on here are killing it for me.

Hopefully whoever runs this site will either set some standards or start enforcing the ones already in place. This could be a GREAT site if we can keep it constructive and not let it turn into a HowardForums.

pharoh

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
The argument is that it is to conserve battery in case one of the side buttons is pressed in your pocket. But does it really? Think about it...

WITH Slide to Unlock...
-You accidentally push a button in your pocket.
-The Slide to Unlock screen pops up.
-The screen stays on for X amount of time and shuts off.

WITHOUT Slide to Unlock (theoretically)...
-You would accidentally push a button in your pocket.
-The home screen would pop up, but nothing on it would be able to be pushed because only human skin can communicate with the touch screen.
-The screen would stay on for X amount of time and shut off.

Does anyone else see what I mean? I mean, yeah Slide to Unlock is pretty fun to do, but EVERY TIME we unlock our phones having to do it, is just a drag, especially after I just proved how unnecessary it is and how the same amount of battery would be wasted either way.

I hope Apple sees how stupid it is and offers an option to turn it off, or someone hacks it so we don't have to do it every time.
I see what you are saying...but what if someone keeps sticking their fingers in your pocket and hitting a button...

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
Keep your hands out of the pocket unless you want the phone out lol

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I will say there are a ton of noobies on this site. People who have unrealistic expectations about their first smartphones but the compaints are prevelent on any forum. "PDA phone home" or "treo central" all have their fair share of complainers. But don't kid yourself. Apple programs are on these forums checking out what people like and don't like. Maybe they will add a "disable slide to unlock feature", maybe they will tweak the UI for the MMS issue. Nobody forces any of you to read each post and you can usually tell what is going to be said by the title.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Nobody forces any of you to read each post and you can usually tell what is going to be said by the title.
This is becoming less and less true, each day. There are a lot of people that try to make their titles as vague as possible, just to attract people.

Also, no, we're not *forced* to read it, but it just makes the threads that ARE worth reading, harder to find. They get pushed further and further back into the old pages, and then people are more and more likely to create more threads that are repeats of old info, thus pushing the good threads even FURTHER back, and the cycle never ends.