Anyone else see how pointless "Slide to Unlock" is?

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
This is becoming less and less true, each day. There are a lot of people that try to make their titles as vague as possible, just to attract people.

Also, no, we're not *forced* to read it, but it just makes the threads that ARE worth reading, harder to find. They get pushed further and further back into the old pages, and then people are more and more likely to create more threads that are repeats of old info, thus pushing the good threads even FURTHER back, and the cycle never ends.

Give it a month to weed out the newbs.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Ok I'm the one who started this post and I just want everyone to know that I absolutely love my iPhone to death. And I'm not gonna hate it if they don't offer some day some "Disable Slide to Unlock" feature as you are all right, it's really not that big of a deal. All I'm saying is that I don't understand why it's important or why it was made. No buttons are going to be accidentally pushed in your pocket as only human skin can activate the touch screen, that's all I'm saying. So whether the screen is the Slide to Unlock screen or the Home screen, nothing is going to be pushed either way, so Slide to Unlock is truly pointless.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well call me a complainer all you want but I do wish slide-to-unlock was an optional setting (to those complaining about alleged complaining).

I have my iPhone set to auto-lock after 1 minute using a Passcode Lock. I really don't see the point in having to slide to unlock and then enter my PIN to use the phone. Seems logical to me that if the device is PIN locked slide-to-lock should be optional.

This doesn't mean I hate my iPhone, I'm just pointing out behavior that I would like to have control over. Why would anyone have a problem with it being optional? If you want it on, great, do so. Those who don't can turn it off. If it turns out to be an issue they can turn it back on.

And don't think that because the iPhone is such a great device that there isn't room for improvement. For example, my Treo's equivalent to slide-to-unlock is called Keyguard (with physical buttons and a touch screen it's needed!). But it has four different settings: disabled, when power is turned off, 5 seconds after power off, and 30 seconds after power off. I set mine to the last option. You honestly don't think it wouldn't be an improvement for slide-to-unlock to have these same options? Do you really need slide-to-lock when you turn your iPhone off then immediately back on?

On a positive note I am pleased with Passcode Lock (though I wish it had more durations than just immediately and 1 minute). I used almost the exact same feature on my Treo, and was concerned that it would be much more cumbersome on the iphone--to the point of almost not even trying it. Boy was I wrong: on my Treo I had to fumble with the tiny numeric keys on the keyboard to enter my PIN, then hit the OK button or tab down to press the OK button with the 5-way pad. On my iPhone I can enter my PIN so fast you can't tell what I am entering--really, I can do it in about .5 seconds.

--
Mike

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Well call me a complainer all you want but I do wish slide-to-unlock was an optional setting (to those complaining about alleged complaining).

I have my iPhone set to auto-lock after 1 minute using a Passcode Lock. I really don't see the point in having to slide to unlock and then enter my PIN to use the phone. Seems logical to me that if the device is PIN locked slide-to-lock should be optional.

This doesn't mean I hate my iPhone, I'm just pointing out behavior that I would like to have control of. Why would anyone have a problem with it being optional? If you want it on, great, do so. Those who don't can turn it off. If it turns out to be an issue they can turn it off.

And don't think that because the iPhone is such a great device that there isn't room for improvement. For example, my Treo's equivalent to slide-to-unlock is called Keyguard (with physical buttons and a touch screen it's needed!). But it has four different settings: disabled, when power is turned off, 5 seconds after power off, and 30 seconds after power off. I set mine to the last option. You honestly don't think it wouldn't be an improvement for the slide-to-unlock have these same options? Do you really need slide-to-lock when you turn your iPhone off then immediately back on?

On a positive note I am pleased with Passcode Lock (though I wish it had more durations than just immediately and 1 minute). I used almost the exact same feature on my Treo, and was concerned that it would be much more cumbersome on the iphone--to the point of almost not even trying it. Boy was I wrong: on my Treo I had to fumble with the tiny numeric keys on the keyboard to enter my PIN, then hit the OK button or tab down to press the OK button with the 5-way pad. On my iPhone I can enter my PIN so fast you can't tell what I am entering--really, I can do it in about .5 seconds.

--
Mike
What's your PIN?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I used passcode and PIN interchangeably. Since passcode is a 4 digit number I somehow think of it as PIN (Personal Identification Number).

But if you really did want to know my PIN, it's ####. ;)

--
Mike
Haha, that's a good one. Easy to remember.

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
I wish People would grow up and learn what a Forum is. There is no need for all this negative BS on this Forum. As for hacking it, it takes time. Running Vista and never owned a MAC. Compaibility and Conversion issues. Maybe one day my iPhone will run Vista Mobile. Just Kidding, looking at buying a MAC now (to get a better understanding)

As for the original reason of this Post; I see your point, but at first the iPhone was designed with a plastic screen. The touch screen sensitivity may not have been like the one of the glass screen and needed a slider to prevent buttons from being pushed.
I wish people would understand a forum is for trading info also not just complaining...how about contributing something to the forum besides your lack of research of the phone in the first place. Also there is an ignore list. To which you have just been added. Have a wonderful day

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
I don't know. I believe it is entirely necessary or else you would end up with too much randomness.

You can choose how long it takes before your screen shuts down and locks, so if you find it happening too often, choose a longer time out.

PARADA6

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Ok I'm the one who started this post and I just want everyone to know that I absolutely love my iPhone to death. And I'm not gonna hate it if they don't offer some day some "Disable Slide to Unlock" feature as you are all right, it's really not that big of a deal. All I'm saying is that I don't understand why it's important or why it was made. No buttons are going to be accidentally pushed in your pocket as only human skin can activate the touch screen, that's all I'm saying. So whether the screen is the Slide to Unlock screen or the Home screen, nothing is going to be pushed either way, so Slide to Unlock is truly pointless.
This function is made to insure users not to accidentally push a button or trigger a phone call, in-addition it adds a big nice clock and wallpaper.

I think every function Apple put in the phone is based on huge amount of research. So nothing you see in the phone is really "POINTLESS".

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
This function is made to insure users not to accidentally push a button or trigger a phone call, in-addition it adds a big nice clock and wallpaper.

I think every function Apple put in the phone is based on huge amount of research. So nothing you see in the phone is really "POINTLESS".
Very well said. ;)

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007

So in other words, Apple is too brilliant of a company to ever make a design mistake. LOL!

PARADA6

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
So in other words, Apple is too brilliant of a company to ever make a design mistake. LOL!
Don't put words in my mouth, I don't see how my words equivalent to yours.
Oh and I see you think this function is a design mistake now, it's your right to think so, but too bad that you guys are just minority, so it's highly unlikely Apple will ever gonna do anything about this "mistake".

EVEN A BRILLIANT PRODUCT CAN'T SATISFIED 100% OF ITS CUSTOMERS.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I remember at the first Keynote for the iPhone, the first thing he did (of course) was slide to unlock, and everyone started clapping. I think thats hilarious.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I don't know. I believe it is entirely necessary or else you would end up with too much randomness.

You can choose how long it takes before your screen shuts down and locks, so if you find it happening too often, choose a longer time out.
What exactly does this have to do with slide-to-unlock? I don't leave me iPhone to turn itself off; I turn it off.

Scenario: I finish a call, turn off my iPhone, remember I need to make a call, and then immediately turn it back on and yet am greeted with the slide-to-unlock screen. Why not have an option so that it doesn't lock for 5-30 seconds after turning off? You really think 5, or even 30, seconds is going to cause mass "randomness?" Hasn't on my Treo.

The above scenario, or similar, has happened to me dozens of times. Again, why is having an optional setting so adverse to some of you? You act like that's going to somehow take something away from you...

--
Mike

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
While I don't think the slide to unlock is useless, I have found it annoying some days of heavy usage, and if there was a mod to temporarly disable, it would me nice, it's be good to see how many people are annoyed by this feature so maybe some iPhone hackers put some work into it.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
While I don't think the slide to unlock is useless, I have found it annoying some days of heavy usage, and if there was a mod to temporarly disable, it would me nice...
I suspect that with just a small time delay you wouldn't need to disable it, or not often. But I'd never say you were nuts or a complainer to ask for that ability.

And I suspect, if it was offered, the OP would not object to having it as an option either. But perhaps he chose the wording for this subject a bit too strongly.

For clarity, I don't think slide-to-lock is useless, I just want to have some sort of control over it.

--
Mike

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I suspect that with just a small time delay you wouldn't need to disable it, or not often. But I'd never say you were nuts or a complainer to ask for that ability.

And I suspect, if it was offered, the OP would not object to having it as an option either. But perhaps he chose the wording for this subject a bit too strongly.

For clarity, I don't think slide-to-lock is useless, I just want to have some sort of control over it.

--
Mike
Well if some people see some use in it then yes I think it should be an option. I personally just don't see any point to it. An option from Apple or at least a hack to turn it off would really be nice.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
i agree the slide to unlock is useless. if the phone cant be used without the human touch, then touching something in your pocket shouldn't matter. at least an option to turn it off would be nice.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
i agree the slide to unlock is useless. if the phone cant be used without the human touch, then touching something in your pocket shouldn't matter. at least an option to turn it off would be nice.
Thank you! I think you're the first person after 57 posts that actually understands this!

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
its fun and i like it, if you don't like it why don't you sue Apple for making it then..... Jesus Christ man, get a life please and stop complaining about small issues like this.