Anyone else see how pointless "Slide to Unlock" is?

AllanGT

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Dallas
I personally don't think the slide feature is a hastle. It takes, what, about half a second to slide it? Buttons can be activated while the phone is in your pocket, the "skin only' sensitivity isn't 100% accurate, and say for instance, if Safari opens while in your pocket, you could be draining lots of battery life while it goes un-noticed. Sure, that's not really a big deal at all, but neither is having to slide a button half an inch to get to the home screen. I just look at it as a 'Just In Case' feature :)

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
its fun and i like it, if you don't like it why don't you sue Apple for making it then..... Jesus Christ man, get a life please and stop complaining about small issues like this.
You right here when writing your post were 10 times more annoyed than I've ever been with "Slide to Unlock". All I'm doing is starting a discussion, and people seem to have lots of opinions on it so I'm glad I started it.

As far as complaining about small issues, that's all we CAN complain about with the iPhone as it really doesn't have any big issues.

Zachary Vex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Minneapolis
1] There are many many features that should be modifiable in the settings, including this one.

2] The iPhone is very difficult to answer with one hand, especially when receiving an urgent call while driving. I realize that a headset solves this problem, but I don't always have one charged up and with me (and the white earphones are not so good to wear while driving.) I think Apple should offer alternatives to the "Slide to unlock" and "Slide to answer" features that are easier to initiate with one hand, but not so easy that they'll allow a turn-on in your pocket. Wait, that sounds funny.

3] Honestly, if I see another wasted post complaining about people complaining in this forum, I'm going to scream. If you don't have something helpful to say about a topic, don't say anything. If you feel people are complaining, don't add to it by complaining about them!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
1]

3] Honestly, if I see another wasted post complaining about people complaining in this forum, I'm going to scream. If you don't have something helpful to say about a topic, don't say anything. If you feel people are complaining, don't add to it by complaining about them!
No kidding! Talk about calling the kettle black. That's like walking up to someone and going "YOU ARE SO JUDGMENTAL!". And if you don't understand why that's stupid, then you're the idiot who does it.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Auto-lock

I haven't read the whole thread, because I was getting bored, but how about putting the auto-lock on "never" in the settings and stop whining?:mad:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I haven't read the whole thread, because I was getting bored, but how about putting the auto-lock on "never" in the settings and stop whining?:mad:
Ah I thought you were on to something, but alas that doesn't work for when you sleep your iPhone and try and wake it back up. The Slide to Unlock still shows up.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Darn

I can see that now. How frustrating it must be for the auto-lock haters...

RandomAlec

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Ah I thought you were on to something, but alas that doesn't work for when you sleep your iPhone and try and wake it back up. The Slide to Unlock still shows up.
Well now, I was about to say the same thing he did, but if it still shows up when you sleep/wake then it doesn't really disable it.

-1 point for Apple. :(

uptick

Jul 2, 2007
NY
What would be nice is if a combination of buttons circumvented the slide to unlock. So for example, if you hit the sleep/wake button at the same time as pushing up on the volume, it would skip the "slide to unlock" screen and would just unlock it....
Or double-press the sleep/wake or home button.

funkeruski

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I'd much rather have the slide to unlock feature than to be making a bunch of unknown calls. Those can be quite dangerous and explosive.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I'd much rather have the slide to unlock feature than to be making a bunch of unknown calls. Those can be quite dangerous and explosive.
It wouldn't make a bunch of unknown calls. Your pocket can't push buttons because the touch screen only responds to human touch. Slide to unlock really doesn't do anything too important.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
It wouldn't make a bunch of unknown calls. Your pocket can't push buttons because the touch screen only responds to human touch. Slide to unlock really doesn't do anything too important.
Have you tried to use the phone with something between your hand and the screen? It will still activate it. Meaning, your hand could still activate it, through the cloth in your jeans/pants/dress/whatever. lol

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Have you tried to use the phone with something between your hand and the screen? It will still activate it. Meaning, your hand could still activate it, through the cloth in your jeans/pants/dress/whatever. lol
Are you sure about this? It sure doesn't do it for me.

funkeruski

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I've got a appendage down there that could definitely dial some numbers, especially after a few beers.:cool: