Anyone else see how pointless "Slide to Unlock" is?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Lemme try real quick. lol

Well, not through my jeans...hmmm....still like the ability to lock it. I do agree that it would be nice if it were optional. :)
Even if it went through your jeans, it still wouldn't do anything until you hit the sleep button or home button first. The screen stays off until you hit a side button. AND since the thing goes to sleep in 1 minute anyway, you would have to:

1. Accidentally hit one of the side buttons in your pocket (already unlikely).
2. Now you have one minute to also hit the touch screen THROUGH your jeans before it sleeps again. And not just the touch screen, the small phone button in the bottom left hand corner of your touch screen.
3. Now you have to miraculously hit the touch screen again through your jeans to call someone.

I really don't think those are good odds.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Even if it went through your jeans, it still wouldn't do anything until you hit the sleep button or home button first. The screen stays off until you hit a side button.

I really don't think those are good odds.
Just as an update to my prior comments, now I really want to turn slide-to-lock off. Been using a passcode lock for few days now and it exacerbates the slide-to-unlock annyanc... err, "feature." ;)

--
Mike

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Even if it went through your jeans, it still wouldn't do anything until you hit the sleep button or home button first. The screen stays off until you hit a side button. AND since the thing goes to sleep in 1 minute anyway, you would have to:
... (list snipped)
I suspect the slide-to-unlock is in there because, in reverse order:

2) It looks cool and gets applause from captive audiences.

1) The original R&D touchscreen was a membrane type and could accidentally be tapped more easily.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I suspect the slide-to-unlock is in there because, in reverse order:

2) It looks cool and gets applause from captive audiences.

1) The original R&D touchscreen was a membrane type and could accidentally be tapped more easily.
Don't you think those are both pretty stupid reasons to keep it?