Anyone else think the 3GS photos are too dark?

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by callisto9, Jul 9, 2009.

1. callisto9

callisto9 Member
    Bronze

I keep seeing all these gorgeous photos that people are taking from the 3GS and all mine are dark, dark, dark!

Anyone else?

I often take my pics in full sun and can't believe how dark they turn out.

Here's some pics for you to judge.

http://picasaweb.google.com/callisto3/iPhone3GSPics#

Look at the last four.

2. trnjackie23

trnjackie23 New Member

same here, its really annoying me >.<, i use this app call photogene to edit the brightness,ece b/c it was so dark.
    any one know a solution?

3. aknightstale41

Gold

They actually look pretty good to me Callisto, I've taken shots in direct sunlight with other digital cameras that looked too bright, or washed out.

4. seanwes

seanwes Zealot
    Gold

To me, it's a good thing. The photos feel more "rich" to me. You can always brighten them up with software.

Whereas, if the original is brighter and more washed out, you can darken it, but it doesn't have all the detail.

5. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Keep in mind that tap-to-focus does more than just focus. It adjusts the white balance as well, which can drastically change the light level in your photo. If the subject you're aiming at results in a too-dark picture, try tapping on something darker equidistant from you as your subject. Experiment with tapping around until you get the best balance between focus and white balance.

I kind of wish there were more elaborate controls over these functions. Perhaps someone can now write a manual camera app with the new 3.0 APIs.

6. kevinjordan0007

kevinjordan0007 New Member

It's good to me, much better than my iPhone 2G, i think probably your iPhone's camera may has some problem,maybe you can try some shooting app

7. rfischer2

rfischer2 New Member

In the ones that are dark you'll notice there are large areas of bright light near the main subject. Notice those bright areas are exposed correctly.
    What the camera is doing is exposing more for the bright areas in the picture. These autofocus, auto exposure cameras are design to average the exposure. With such a dynamic range of bright and dark areas in the image it tries to do what it thinks is best.

Like psylichon said try tapping on other areas in the photo that are equidistant to your subject. This may help with the exposure.

You can also adjust your shooting angle so that you eliminate the bright backgrounds.

8. callisto9

callisto9 Member
    Bronze

I think you may have answered my question. I don't know that I was even tapping the focus. I mainly would tap the focus only when I was trying to do a macro shot, but when I was trying to take a landscape shot, I would just let the camera focus itself. I will try your suggestion, thanks!

9. tylercr16

tylercr16 New Member
    Bronze

i agree, i think they look fine

10. hinky

hinky Member
    Bronze

In the daylight I get tons of very dark photos as if I'm behind the sun and my face is very dark. That isn't the case but the camera doesn't seem to be calibrated properly for this. Other times I'll have some nice shots.

11. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

There was only one picture I thought looked dark: the one of that lady. Maybe the white background of picasa is contrasting with the darker colors in the image? Try putting them on a black background.

12. dgcatlett

dgcatlett New Member

3gs photos are definitely too dark. i don't tap anything to focus, just shoot the picture & they're all too dark! I really hope they fix this in a firmware update!

13. hinky

hinky Member
    Bronze

Ditto. Every photo is clearly darker than it should be for me, especially if outdoors and in the shade. Bizarre.

14. dgcatlett

dgcatlett New Member

yes, I've had an iPhone since 2007 & have gotten very used to using the camera all the time. I hope enough people complain so Apple fixes this.