Anyone else upset about the price drop to $399?

trojan21

Jun 27, 2007
Hi guys,

I'm not an Apple loyalist....the last Apple product I owned was the Apple IIgs back in the late 80's/early 90's. I bought the 4 gig iPhone and if anything I should feel shafted but I'm not. I think the iPhone was overpriced to begin with. There were other smart phones that did a lot more for a lot less. I personally think that Apple knew that the initial sales would be based on the hype and for the most part it was. But for what the phone did, it did not justify the price level. I'm in the camp that thinks that the iPhone isn't revolutionary but evoloutionary in that it will spawn better iPhones with better features. Apple knew this which is why they lowered the price level to where it is currently.

If you compare the ipod touch with the iPhone, it's basically the same thing without the call feature. For the 8gig/16gig the price is $299/$399. So you are telling me that initially, the iPhone (8 gig version) is really an 8gig ipod touch with a $300 call feature? Come on, there are phones cheaper than $100 that can make calls with bear-bones features. What I'm trying to say is that when Apple made the decision to release the ipod touch, they knew that people will realize the price descrepency between these two products and wonder the same thing that I just brought up. Missing key features that other phones had, the iPhone was just overpriced from the get-go. Should we be mad? I think we should. I am, but at the same time, I'm happy with my investment because it does things a lot of other phones do but better. The price that I paid is a phase-out of the 4gig, and a couple hundered dollars. Nobody saw this coming, which really sucks. I think next time I'm going to take a more reasonable approach. For those that want to rant, go do it, let everybody know.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
I accept it.

I accept it. Earlier this year I watched Steve Jobs announce the new iPhone with child like Christmas day eyes. I had been waiting for a very long time for a really good convergence device and the iPhone looked as if it were going to be the one. My Cell contract had long expired the previous year but I still waited until iday to get a new phone. Then on iday I stood in line just as excited as everyone else. With the new iPhone in hand I rushed home and began my evaluation.

The interface was wonderful as well as the form and look. However, with this being as Jobs quoted “A revolutionary device” I expected a lot of the same features that any new cell phone had. My old Nokia 6230 could print via Bluetooth, not on the iPhone. My Buddies Blackjack streams stereo Bluetooth, not the iPhone. No problem I thought, the design of this device allows for easy updates and improvement via firmware and the hardware is already built into the phone. So I patently waited in hopes of new improvements. Then came September 5th, just like many of you I anxiously waited with high hopes of a major firmware update only to hear that Apple was cutting the price by $200! Believe me I know the consequences of being an early adopter and I fully understand the concept of R&D and the issues related to market share etc. But a 1/3 price drop in only two months? Just like everyone else I felt let down or like I was swindled but in reality it’s my fault. I bought into the hype and assumed more than I should have. I choose to purchase the iPhone when I did and I made a lot of assumptions regarding Apple. I still love my iPhone but I will not purchase another Apple product. Not because I’m mad at Apple but because I don’t trust them.

williamrob42

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
iPhone all over again...

Well here I go again. I purchased the iPhone 8gb when it was first released in June. Then after a little aggravation, I sold the iPhone on Ebay for what I paid for it. Meanwhile recently picking up the Razr2 thought I would never look at the iPhone again, until yesterday. Now the price drop. I called Apple and ordered another iPhone. Also I pre ordered the Ipod Touch for my son. I really missed the great features. Lets face the fact these features you cannot find on any other mobile device. At least no other compared to the iPhone technology. So I should receive my iPhone on Monday and once again connecting with Apple & iTunes.. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
For you negative folks, stop whining

Early adopters pay a premium to get things earlier. We know that going in. Like others have said getting anything back in any form is an unexpected bonus. Being upset that someone else can get something cheaper than you is called jealousy. Stand by your decisions. If you made the choice to pay $599/$499 and it drops in price 2 months later, you are not a victim of a corporation, you make the choices.

party301

Sep 7, 2007
i can't help but laugh

as i sit here reading about the price cut on the iPhone and read about all the iRate customers out there i can't help but sit here and laugh. while it is sad for those of you who purchased your phone recently (but atleast within the last 14 days you can get a refund from Apple) i can't bring myself to feel sorry for anyone who just had to have the iPhone right when it came out. buying a $600 cell phone simply to look cool and because you thought no one else would have it for a while is ridiculous. waiting in line for days just to buy one, insane. what is up with people these days that can't just wait a little while after something comes out before they have to get one? it was the same thing with the PlayStation 3, people paying thousands of dollars to buy one only to be able to walk into a store a month later and pick it up off the shelf without waiting in line. for those out there that are complaining about the price drop, deal with it, no one forced you to buy that phone for $600. at least this has given me something to keep me smiling for the weekend.:p

I bought my 8GB 17 days ago for the full price of $599. If had known about the price drop I would have definitely wait. I realize that prices usually go down, but it definitely stings. Anyone else upset?

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Whilst it's true that there is inevitably a premium to be paid by early adopters, a 33% price cut in just two months signals that demand for the iPhone isn't exactly great. In other words, once the fan market has been dealt with there just isn't the demand out there to support the price.

I'd also point out that since most other contracts' units are subsidized then they aren't subject to drops like this. It seems that you early adopters have, indeed, been shafted. I hope you learn from this lesson.

party301

Sep 7, 2007
sounds to me like you need to take a class in economics and financial planning.

It's just annoying. I mean I spent $541.17 for the phone, $200 for cancelling with T-Mobile, and my first iPhone bill was $260. I could have really used that $200 price drop.

jags86

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
For all of you who were smart enough to purchase **insurance** on your iPhone, its now time to accidentally break you iPhone and file a claim! Get your $600 back, and buy a new one at $400.

H

hax

For all of you who were smart enough to purchase **insurance** on your iPhone, its now time to accidentally break you iPhone and file a claim! Get your $600 back, and buy a new one at $400.

haha sounds good.

princealyy

Jul 2, 2007
Side Note

I am furious... when i heard about the 33% price drop in the iPhone... but then tmobile did it too... how dare them drop the price of the sidekick id 50% in two months...

I DESERVE RESTITUTION...

JK ... not meant to make anyone mad... just a few smiles if possible..

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
You don't know much about how insurance works, do you?

zews39

Sep 7, 2007
the look REALLY pisses me off, like i want to kill the designers. NOw people will think I have a ipod :(
Let me get this straight. You are upset, because of what other people may think of you, based on what kind of a gadget you own? Because they may think you own a certain music player instead of a certain phone? And you want to kill the designers to boot?

Seem to me, you have a bit of growing up to do. What a sad sack.
:)

zews39

Sep 7, 2007
I've been with Apple the whole time but this.... unacceptable. Had the iPod touch been released before the iPhone, no iPhone for me. I just feel screwed. Today in Science, about 5 people kept saying 'Oh my god you have an iPhone you're so lucky..." No more of that... Now we'll be hearing "HA! You got screwed by Apple and paid two hundred extra for something with two extra features!" I'm bummed.
Oh great, another one who bought a phone because of the reaction he would get to it from others. Are you really so uncool, that you need a phone to seem cool?

zews39

Sep 7, 2007
YES! I bought the 4gig 2 thursdays ago and i'm OUTRAGED that for 100 dollars cheaper.. I COULDA GOT DOUBLE THE MEMORY

IT'S BULLPLOP

i was in web page design class

and i was reading updates, on the Apple meeting or whatever and i read it

i THREW the mouse at the screen and got kicked out, that's how pissed off i was

and still am

it's SOOOO stupid like. WTF WERE THEY THINKING?!?!? i'm seriously so mad about it OH, AND ESPECIALLY SINCE THE FKING IPOD IS THE iPhone

I WENT THREW HELL TO GET THIS THING, MY DAD LITERALLY FREAKED OUT ON ME

more than 5 times because i watned the phone. so... i'm sitting here at my computer cutting my wrists, and tying a rope to the roof in the attic..

here i come heaven
What is it like at the shallow end of the gene pool?

chavezr6

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
Wow! What did people think this phone was going to change their lives and now that it's at a more affordable price the last however many weeks of their lives meant nothing?

zews39

Sep 7, 2007
Now everyone and their grandmother will have an iPhone. I now have to find something hot and different to buy. M:mad:
You now have something hot and different to buy? Why, because you're suddenly not cool enough anymore? Do you think this phone was created specially for you, so you could feel cool?

You certainly need Electronics Annonymous, as you suggest yourself.

zews39

Sep 7, 2007
OK now that I've vented a little, I haven't purchased the iPhone yet. I plan on getting one towards the end of november when my current verizon contract is done. I never adopt anything right when it comes out. It's not wise and today is a perfect example of why.
If you can, wait until January 2008. I'm sure Apple will announce new product(s) at the MacWorld expo in San Francisco. They always do.

And maybe this time, they'll announce a 3G, 16 Gb iPhone. The 16 Gb is definitely a possibility, since obviously they already use the flash ram as in the iPod touch, and 64Gb SSDs have begun to show up in various computers.

Mac Insomniac

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
If you can, wait until January 2008. I'm sure Apple will announce new product(s) at the MacWorld expo in San Francisco. They always do.

And maybe this time, they'll announce a 3G, 16 Gb iPhone. The 16 Gb is definitely a possibility, since obviously they already use the flash ram as in the iPod touch, and 64Gb SSDs have begun to show up in various computers.
Now that they have the 4gb on sale no need to wait till January!

The iPhone is bad A$$ and if you liike being organized you need this phone. I was without it for the weekend and was super un organized....loves it!

Price points are good enough to buy one now and later:cool: