Anyone else waiting for Apple Store to open to order iPad Air 2 this morning?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know how long the store has been down, but I am ready to pull the trigger on a new iPad Air 2 when it opens. I'm heading out of town Friday mid morning for the weekend and am hoping that I can order for pick up at my local Apple store first thing Friday morning?

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Thank you for your order.
We'll let you know when your items are on their way.

Items to be Shipped

Shipment 1 Available to ship: 2-4 business days
Delivers: Oct 23 - Oct 27 by Standard Shipping

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi 64GB - Space Gray

$599.00

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
Scary for Apple that I appear to be the only one on this forum wanting to purchase an iPad Air 2 :(
I was going to get one just for the touch ID but after thinking it through I don't really see a reason to upgrade just for it.. Thinner and lighter are not all that important to me..

I personally was hoping for a larger iPad and if it had been released I would have bought it..

B89rent89

Bronze
Sep 19, 2012
Scary for Apple that I appear to be the only one on this forum wanting to purchase an iPad Air 2 :(
I'm turning in my existing iPad Air in on the NEXT program in exchange for the new one. Not exactly "buying" it, more of a lease.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe Forums

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm turning in my existing iPad Air in on the NEXT program in exchange for the new one. Not exactly "buying" it, more of a lease.

Are you turning it into AT&T and then ordering a new one through them? How long does it take to reset your Next eligibility after you turn it in?

B89rent89

Bronze
Sep 19, 2012
Don't know the particulars. I'm hoping I get hold on to existing iPad until they have one for the exchange. When I got in the NEXT program last year, at the iPad Air release, I waited longer to get it than regular orders from Apple were taking. Going up to the AT& T store shortly.

B89rent89

Bronze
Sep 19, 2012
I assume the reset is instantaneous when I take possession of the new one.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I really like what they've done with the iPad Air 2. It checks all of the boxes. The first iPad Air was awesome, but this seems to improve upon everything. Personally, I like the idea of Touch ID for online purchases. I can see this being a long term purchase, unless you crave a super-big tablet. iPad Air 2 Plus or whatever they call it.

Dipsxxy

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 1, 2010
I am on the Next program. As soon as you turn your phone in you get the upgrade right then. The next offer 12 months or 18 months. Long as you are eligible for whichever month u choose you trade in your device and you are good to get a new one. Since I like to upgrade every year it works for me

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I am on the Next program. As soon as you turn your phone in you get the upgrade right then. The next offer 12 months or 18 months. Long as you are eligible for whichever month u choose you trade in your device and you are good to get a new one. Since I like to upgrade every year it works for me
Were you able to get an iPhone 6 on launch day by giving them your old phone that day or did you turn your phone in earlier in the month?

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
Really the only thing I have against trading in my iPad Air for a new one is that I purchased AppleCare+ for this one. Hate that I spent money on two years of coverage and then trade in my iPad after only one year.

Do y'all really believe that the Air 2 is that much of an upgrade over last years? I didn't really see it.

Dipsxxy

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 1, 2010
I traded my 5s and got my iPhone 6. I didn't go on launch day, I got my phone the following week. Long as the phone is in stock u can trade your phone. Even if you pre-order u can use your next and AT&T mail you a box to send the old device in. They give you 30 days.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
Really the only thing I have against trading in my iPad Air for a new one is that I purchased AppleCare+ for this one. Hate that I spent money on two years of coverage and then trade in my iPad after only one year.

Do y'all really believe that the Air 2 is that much of an upgrade over last years? I didn't really see it.
I've never tried before but does Apple give a prorated refund for Apple Care+ if you cancel it before the term is up?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I traded my 5s and got my iPhone 6. I didn't go on launch day, I got my phone the following week. Long as the phone is in stock u can trade your phone. Even if you pre-order u can use your next and AT&T mail you a box to send the old device in. They give you 30 days.
Are you certain they let you send it in after you preorder? I didn't think you could do that. They need to receive the phone and check it out before you are eligible. I'm just trying to figure out how soon I need to send it in so I can preorder next year. I guess I should just call them.

Dipsxxy

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 1, 2010
Yes I am sure. I was on AT&T site yesterday setting it up to trade my iPad Air. They ask you questions concerning the condition of your product. They take your word for it but there is a message that says if the item is not up to par they will bill your account. So they do get you if your device is in bad condition

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
I actually do, and I plan to sell my Air and get the Air 2.

Last year, they released the Air with the same processor (A7) as the iPhone 5S. However, this year, the iPad Air 2 already has an upgraded processor (A8X) over the iPhone 6 (A8). So the iPad Air is running on the same processor as last year's phone technology, whereas the iPad Air 2 is running on an even better processor than THIS year's phone.

In terms of processing power, things are starting to level out a bit -- you only need so much processing power to surf the web, run simple apps like Twitter, etc. Still, Apple has me convinced in this leap from the A7 in the Air to the A8X in the Air 2.

This will be the first time I've upgraded on an off-year cycle, but it's because they still did a redesign (somewhat -- thinner, and GOLD!!!) while also providing a healthy upgrade of the internals.