Anyone else who still uses the V1 decide the 3GS isn't worth upgrading to?

Which options describes you?

• Total voters

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
Yep I still have my first generation iPhone and minus some scratches it's still in fine working shape. I didn't upgrade to the 3G because I didn't see enough new features and my area didn't have 3G coverage and I liked the V1 iPhone data plan pricing better anyway. I was thinking the 3GS would finally give me an upgrade worth getting...but all I see is faster hardware, a better battery and a better camera; still no real feature upgrades.

Although the battery upgrade and MMS would be nice, not worth a new phone to me and most the other good software updates will go to the V1 right?

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

mdixon1988

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
springfield, missouri
yes, i agree, but i really want the MMS and the new camera...i REALLY want it! I have been thinking about it since yesterday and I still have my $100 Apple gift they gave us after screwing us over on the cost of the V1. So I can get it for $99...I just cant decide! :p

musicmanmu

Bronze
Aug 2, 2007
WV
In the same boat here. I have had my V1 since August 2007. I just had it replaced last week with a new (refurb) V1 because I had dead pixels and was still under AppleCare (it's what I used my $100 card on:cool:).

I think it's time for me to upgrade - 3G is now widely available where I live...MMS is something I wanted and you can't have on the V1.

I am just wondering how much I can sell my V1 for. It's in brand new condition now thanks to the replacement...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I still have my V1 from summer of 2007, and it's in pretty bad shape. Home button doesn't work, lock button doesn't work, there's a paperclip stuck in the hole where the SIM tray fits, the back is covered in scratches, and the casing is coming apart in multiple places. End of story: I need a case.

But anyway, I'm obviously not using my V1 currently - I can't get a SIM in it and it isn't able to boot. I'm stuck with a crappy Nokia flip phone for now, so I will most certainly be getting a 3GS. And between the hardware improvements that the 3G and 3GS have brought, and the crippled factor that applies to my V1... the 3GS is going to be awesome.

mdixon1988

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
springfield, missouri
what have you guys heard about the backs of these phones? I'm not sure what color to get...my V1 is still spotless, but will the black or white get the crap scratched out of it, which one would be better?

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
what have you guys heard about the backs of these phones? I'm not sure what color to get...my V1 is still spotless, but will the black or white get the crap scratched out of it, which one would be better?
well I had a black 3g for about a week before I decided to sell it and stick with my V1 and during that time I did not use a case with it. I never dropped it or anything but just from carrying it in my pocket and setting it down on surfaces, etc. it accumulated a lot of hairline scratches on the back that were noticeable if you held the phone right in front of your nose. I'm guessing the white doesn't show scratches near as badly but I haven't owned one before.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I remember hearing about 3G's cracking when they came out last year, but I don't think that ever turned out to be a huge issue. As far as color goes, I would get black - I've seen several white 3G's that have very apparent dirt in the casing.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I have a 16GB V1 that is still in perfect condition. Most of the time I'm connected to wifi so I can't justify paying the extra money for the 3g data plan. Also, my phone is jb so I have the video recorder & I'm not too worried about MMS. I guess I really don't have a need to upgrade.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I still have my v1 but am going to upgrade. 3G is prevalent where I am, I would like to be able to MMS and the overall SPEED of the phone is important to me. I'm big into sports and like being able to get my scores quickly while updating my fantasy team and doing a bunch of other stuff.

Couple all of that w/ the fact that I can finally get GPS, a compass, a video camera and a longer battery life (overlooked factor), and an upgrade for me is a must.

raguilar

Sep 18, 2007
I have an original 8GB V1 and I will be getting the 32GB one in black. I like that it will do MMS, that it is faster and that it has a better battery. What I like most though is the size. 8 GB is too small and 16 is about right (my wife has this), but I have been waiting for the 32GB. This way I can have pictures, video, games and at least 2 audiobooks on the phone at one time....

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I've had the original first gen iPhone since iDay (6/29/07), and because I've just recently received a like new replacement under AppleCare, I'm having a tough time making a decision. IF they had included a flash feature, it would have been a slam dunk. The 32GB is very appealing to me as well. I'll probably wait until the 17th to make my decision. After I check out 3.0, I might just hold off for another year. :)

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I don't have a V1 iPhone and pointlessly spend my time on a forum for a phone I don't own.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I've had my V1 since day one, and since 3G isn't available in my area and AT&T can't tell me when it will be, I've also decided to wait. My V1 is in perfect condition and the camera feature is not that big a deal to me. I do think the video is cool, but since I rarely use the camera feature now, I doubt that I'd use the camera or video much anyway. (I have a Nikon D300 SLR.) The faster speed is the only real appeal to me. I even like the heavier feel of the V1 as opposed to the newer models. I also don't want to pay an additional $15 a month for the features, (200 text messages, $20 data plan), that I have now. I'm definitely looking forward to the new software on the 17th, though. Good luck to all. Cheers !

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I've been thinking about it & I think I really do want the 3Gs...maybe because its something new (sighs)

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
I've been using v1 since July '07, and it's time to upgrade :) my husband got the 3G when it was released and I was so jealous... now it's my turn!

Tarmac

Mar 29, 2008
I've had my refurb unlocked jailbroken V1 for a year, no contract, got it replaced due to battery issue 2 weeks ago, brand new shiny V1, perfect condition, perfect battery, still no contract, do not plan to upgrade.

I still can't justify $35 for mobile data alone. Maybe I could justify $50-ish for 3G data including tethering. The $20 V1 data plan works for me.