Anyone else's mini take hours + to charge?

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Just got a mini for the kids to play on.

I charged it initially and only once since then.

This time, I kept track a little more. It took 6 hours to go from 29% to full charge. No apps running. It was not being used while charging.

Is this normal for this model? I'm used to my phone that charge lickety split.

Thanks!

Torinate

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
Mini has a lot bigger battery so will take longer to reach a full charge as compared to an iPhone.

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Mini has a bigger battery? How much bigger? Just seems really really long to charge. But, if this is what others see as well, that's fine too. Just wondering if I've got a problem...

Thanks!

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
My daughter has a mini but never timed how long it to charge. I have a iPad 3 and it can take 8-10 hours to charge. The battery is I'm guessing more than twice the size. Figure that most all the internal components are about the size as the phone except the battery and the display. They would fill as much space as possible with the battery to power the display and give the iPad as much user time they can.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
When I charge my iPads, to include my Mini it appears that they charger faster when using the converter on the bottom. I have never really paid that much attention but I am sure someone in the forum will provide the answer.

Jerry

Image.jpg

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
When I charge my iPads, to include my Mini it appears that they charger faster when using the converter on the bottom. I have never really paid that much attention but I am sure someone in the forum will provide the answer.

Jerry

View attachment 27369
I believe the top one is 1A while the bottom one is 2A. Check the small print on each.

Sent using iCafe on iMini

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
The top one is a 2.5 watt and is made for iPhone and iPods the bottom is a 10 watt and is for iPad and MacBooks. You can use the bottom on the iPhones and iPods but if you use the top one one the iPad it will charge but it will be very slow and if your using it at the time it's almost a wash.

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Hmm. It came with the top one.

It appears to have the same charger as the ones that came with my phones. Guess ill look at the fine print. I always thought they were the same.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
From what I recall, the top one comes with iPhones and the Mini. The larger one for iPads (at least through iPad2).
The MacBooks (the Air for one) come with something similar but no USB output.

Sent using iCafe on iMini

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
There's that magic Napoleon was talking about.

Thanks

The top one is a 2.5 watt and is made for iPhone and iPods the bottom is a 10 watt and is for iPad and MacBooks. You can use the bottom on the iPhones and iPods but if you use the top one one the iPad it will charge but it will be very slow and if your using it at the time it's almost a wash.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I use an Apple 12W power adapter with my iPad mini and can go from zero to fully charged in just under 3 hours. That seems pretty damn quick to me.

radtechy

Contributor
Silver
Jul 20, 2011
I use an Apple 12W power adapter with my iPad mini and can go from zero to fully charged in just under 3 hours. That seems pretty damn quick to me.
That's the adapter that comes with the big iPad? My mini came with the same exact charger as the iPhone gets and has the same electrical specs

Sent using iCafe app on my iPad Mini 32 GB

Apr 9, 2013
Charlottesville, Va
Mine charges fine from the wall, but for some reason when charging from my MBP it hangs at 98% or says Not Charging.

Sent using iCafe app

B

Bharding08

Mine takes forever as well

Sent using iCafe app

Kobel1up

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 14, 2012
Eastern Ohio
I just got my mini so I don't know how long it will take to charge. I know my ipad 2 takes about 5 or 6 hours, which is fine because I get 10 or more hours us and 11 days stand by.

Sent using iCafe app