Anyone get iPhone tethering to work

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Now, I'm not an idiot with computers. I work with them every day almost doing IT work, but I just can't seem to figure out how the SOCKS server on the iPhone is working.

It seems that most people get to the point where they have the ad-hock network setup and can ping the iPhone, but no further. The next logical step would be to set the internet browser to look at a proxy server (the SOCKS server v4) at whatever IP you set the iPhone at. Is the port still 1080? I did that in both firefox and IE to no avail.

Some help or a link is appreciated.:)

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Same here... I get to the point where my computer recognizes the ah-hoc and connects to it... but cannot manipulate the browser into using that connection for internet...

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
So no one has done this?

:(

I kinda woulda like it since I work off site for work and safari doesn't cut it for IE only browsers :(

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Stupido here... What is tethering? Is it using your iPhone as a modem or something?

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Correct. Currently there is no real way to do it so some have found a way to install a socks proxy server on the iPhone and through wifi your computer can connect to the iPhone to access the Internet through edge

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I guess I'll try one last time considering this was a busy weekend for most. ;)

BUMP!

sj2kgrafx

May 23, 2007
i got it to work....but the process is'nt as smooth as it seems

i got it to work....but the process is'nt as smooth as it seems

gdestiny

Jul 17, 2007