Anyone Give Up and Go Back to Blackberry?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Wondering if anyone has given up on the iPhone yet and gone back to their Blackberry. I continue to be very frustrated with the productivity of the iPhone (missed calls due to lack of notification, call volume issues, etc.).
Seriously debating getting a Pearl (which I used to have) and having both phones.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
haha so the novelty wore off and you need to get some work done? hmm

sounds like you need less "work" in your life.:p

but i can see your point.
also the inability to copy and paste is just an added annoyance.

but i also think that in time, Apple, or at least someone who knows how to make mods, will fix all that is wrong with the iPhone.

Jul 27, 2007
I have not turned my iPhone in but I am disappointed in the lack of certain features that I considered basic for all phones. Example: A find feature in the "contacts" section. Voice Dialing would be great for using phone while driving. an alarmed "to do" feature would have been great.

All that said, I am hoping Apple is paying attention and I want them to win in the market. For businesss, the phone is not ready yet. For "fun" movie watching and other things, it is a hit.

I have not purchased the Pearl yet but I have been tempted to use it for businesss. I did not check the pearl for Voice dialing however.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
I've considered it many times but held off in hopes of a new update. I'm beginning to think that we won't get the major updates that we want or hope for since the rumor of the iPhone2. I expect that most of the design efforts are now concentrated on iPhone2. I do however forsee Apple adding a few pay apps to iTunes much like the games you can buy for the ipod.

It's extremely frustrating to me because the current iPhone hardware has so much more capability then the software utilizes.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
If you owned the Pearl, then I'd say just swap out your SIM cards. However, with the Pearl, you'll need to order BlackBerry service. That'll run you $9.99 for the additional line and $29.99 for BB service.

Why not the Curve over the Pearl? Full QWERTY, yet still a small phone.

-Chris

Kanyon71

Sep 5, 2007
I've got a BlackJack sitting in my backpack in case I ever really need it. So far I have no reason to go to it. The iPhone isn't perfect but it's a heck of a lot better then what I've come from in the past. I haven't missed any calls, every call that comes in I can actually answer (far better them my PPC-6700 which would routinely lockup trying to answer a call). I've never been a Blackberry fan, I've used them in the past and found nothing I liked about it, so I stuck with Treo/Palm and the Win Mobile devices. Once in a while I miss my OWA integration that my Win phones had but I can wait on that.

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I was JUST getting ready to post this same comment....I've been really trying hard to keep justifying the iPhone but i've found myself getting more and more frustrated every day. Especially when I'm traveling...the EDGE network SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS.....I never know if I'm missing emails...if I really need to send one quickly it's slow as all get out...

I'm trying to hang on but it's looking like I may be headed back to the BB world.

Wondering if anyone has given up on the iPhone yet and gone back to their Blackberry. I continue to be very frustrated with the productivity of the iPhone (missed calls due to lack of notification, call volume issues, etc.).
Seriously debating getting a Pearl (which I used to have) and having both phones.

Jul 27, 2007
while I think the iPhone is less than the promise, it still has a lot of potential if Apple will follow through. I think it makes sense to wait for the first application update. If the update demonstrates they are not listening, then we all have decisions to make.

The promise of the phone is outstanding. it is all about the execution now. If Apple does not want to make the improvements, then open it up for 3rd party development. I am willing to pay for the applications that will make my businesss life better. I have done this with the windows based devices that I own.

I am at times disappointed but hopeful still.

UFGator

Jul 17, 2007
Yeah. I think everyone that used the Blackberry is unhappy with the iPhone. I mean I love the iPhone, but it's just not a good businesss tool. No cut & paste, no search, no external audible alarm notification if the headphones are plugged in, no ability to setup a monthly recurring alarm on a specific day of the week, no blind copy, and the list goes on and on and on. If they would just upgrade the iPhone to do the things the BB would do it would be the greatest device in history...

TIME

Jul 8, 2007
Yeah. I think everyone that used the Blackberry is unhappy with the iPhone. I mean I love the iPhone, but it's just not a good businesss tool. No cut & paste, no search, no external audible alarm notification if the headphones are plugged in, no ability to setup a monthly recurring alarm on a specific day of the week, no blind copy, and the list goes on and on and on. If they would just upgrade the iPhone to do the things the BB would do it would be the greatest device in history...
I had a Nextel Blackberry for the previous 2 years. I do miss the walkie talkie, the clear loud speaker phone, and the... well I guess I only miss those two things.

You could not pay me to go back to Blackberry.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I still have a 750 sitting and waiting should I need it, but I am very happy with the iPhone. I have learned a long time ago that to expect to much of your phone is always a bad thing, as you are setting yourself up for failure. That being said, I expected a few things from the iPhone, great screen, better OS than WinMo, the great visual voicemail, a better web browsers. I think the iPhone delievered on those features, so I really am happy with the iPhone and continue to be happy. Whatever issues that you might have, most of the aside from data speed are software, lets just hope Apple hears and makes at least a small attempt to fix those issues.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
If you owned the Pearl, then I'd say just swap out your SIM cards. However, with the Pearl, you'll need to order BlackBerry service. That'll run you $9.99 for the additional line and $29.99 for BB service.

Why not the Curve over the Pearl? Full QWERTY, yet still a small phone.

-Chris
I had an 8700 also, but it felt too bulky. Thought I would struggle with the smaller keyboard of the Pearl but found I was able to type about 1.5 times faster than my full QWERTY keyboard.
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the iPhone (and this site) and am desperately hoping for a major update sometime soon.
I'm not sure, but after I did some searching through old posts I believe that in order to have a Blackberry I will need to have brand new service with it (i.e. new phone number, blackberry service plan, etc.). Not sure if I want, or can afford, to be paying for another phone. Swapping the sim cards I think will only work for just calls. Am I wrong about this?

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
while I think the iPhone is less than the promise, it still has a lot of potential if Apple will follow through. I think it makes sense to wait for the first application update. If the update demonstrates they are not listening, then we all have decisions to make.

The promise of the phone is outstanding. it is all about the execution now. If Apple does not want to make the improvements, then open it up for 3rd party development. I am willing to pay for the applications that will make my businesss life better. I have done this with the windows based devices that I own.

I am at times disappointed but hopeful still.
I just got my iPhone on 9/13. I actually think that IF you're going to use the phone for businesss, you probably would be smart to go back to Blackberry, considering that email through Blackberry is far superior. I am using the iPhone for personal use, so I absolutely love the thing. Sure I wish I could do more things with it, like downloading applications and games. But that could come with updates. Overall, I'm 99.9% in love with it, like it way more than my Treo. For me, it's my Phone, my iPod, my email & my internet, all accessible in one machine, that fits in my hand, I love it. I guess I'm easier to please, but it's my favorite gadget I've ever owned.

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I have not turned my iPhone in but I am disappointed in the lack of certain features that I considered basic for all phones. Example: A find feature in the "contacts" section. Voice Dialing would be great for using phone while driving. an alarmed "to do" feature would have been great.

All that said, I am hoping Apple is paying attention and I want them to win in the market. For businesss, the phone is not ready yet. For "fun" movie watching and other things, it is a hit.

I have not purchased the Pearl yet but I have been tempted to use it for businesss. I did not check the pearl for Voice dialing however.
I actually prefer just touching the letter on the right hand side, instead of the "search". Its pretty much the same thing. just simpler IMO

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
As someone who has used BBs in the past as my personal phone and as someone who uses one daily for businesss I do miss my BB and it has been hard not to go back. I have had a 7250, Pearl and most recently the 8800.

What I miss the most is related to native applications, specifically Jive Talk, Password Manager, Viigo and a few others. I have gotten better about being ok with my emails not coming in like IM. I still miss it but am doing ok. They don't call them Crackberrys for no reason.

I think someone mentioned that the iPhone can be updated, well the BB can as well. You can get new OS on your BB if you choose but really, the 8800 had everything that I needed. As a side note, I received my iPhone as a gift.

I am also patiently waiting to see what updates bring and what does or does not come could detemine if I keep the iPhone. I will say that after getting over the initial hump of no pushmail and *currently* no native apps, I really have enjoyed my iPhone. The internet is amazing and until I had my iPhone I never really was able to read and take part on boards like this from my phone.

We have all heard the rumors of native apps, IM, double-tap spacebar for a period, the ever elusive copy/paste function. We can only hope they come sooner than later.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I really like the iPhone (even though I'm one of the people that complain a lot) but its just not for everyone. Some of the things I thought I could deal without having I now realize that I cant. It isn't that I didn't do the research, its not that I didn't compare it to what was out there I just think the iPhone is too much of a "entertainment" device, not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm in the process of debating the BB8820 but I'm sure I'll miss some things about the iPhone but since I will prob get a touch i don't think I'll miss it that much. If i was on more of a fixed income I prob would be bummbed out but like I said I'll have my BB as my phone/pda/email and my touch to play with ;)