Anyone had Airplane Mode turn off?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

RyanP

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
While traveling recently, I turned on Airplane Mode and then watched some videos I had downloaded (and I could see the airplane icon indicating I was in airplane mode). Then I locked the phone and put it in my pocket. When I pulled it out later to listen to music, I saw the AT&T logo and 2 bars of service. I went immediately to settings and saw Airplane Mode was turned off. I turned it back on and put it back in my pocket. Later, when I pulled it out again, Airplane Mode was off again. Has anybody else had this experience? It stinks because now I feel like I can't use the iPhone at all while on a plane! Thanks for any insight.
Ryan

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
While traveling recently, I turned on Airplane Mode and then watched some videos I had downloaded (and I could see the airplane icon indicating I was in airplane mode). Then I locked the phone and put it in my pocket. When I pulled it out later to listen to music, I saw the AT&T logo and 2 bars of service. I went immediately to settings and saw Airplane Mode was turned off. I turned it back on and put it back in my pocket. Later, when I pulled it out again, Airplane Mode was off again. Has anybody else had this experience? It stinks because now I feel like I can't use the iPhone at all while on a plane! Thanks for any insight.
Ryan
It has happened to me too....turned airplane mode on, only to see it turned on later by itself. Buggy phone!

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Wow that's a pretty big issue. I know when it tries to send data in airplane mode a popup will ask if you want to allow it or not. Maybe when in sleep mode it answers yes. A big issue IMO. Thanks for pointing it out.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
From all the threads discussing this, EDGE roaming, and extremely large bills when going out of the country, I've decided I'll just leave my iPhone behind next time I go out of the country.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Funny, I just read another thread about people traveling to another country and they get back and have a $1000 bill waiting for them because the email (I know Tinman has many issues with this) keeps checking for mail and thus it access's without your knowledge.

So if you are in another country, should you have the phone in airplane mode so that it does not check for email?

RyanP

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
I haven't had any problems till date with the Airplane mode. Did you talk to Apple in pertinent to this issue?
I have not talked to Apple about this--I hear of people in these forums talking to Apple a lot...are they pretty easy to get a hold of? In general I dread calling customer service numbers, so I've never thought of it, but I'll definitely try. Which number should I use? Or is email better? Thanks!

Jul 14, 2007
airplane mode goes away

yeah i have this problem as well. i'm not sure how it works. but it's like this..

1) i put airplane mode on.

2) the screen goes to sleep

3) 50/50 chance that when i wake it, i will see bars or the airplane.

anyone have a solution?

mrgisriel

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I have not talked to Apple about this--I hear of people in these forums talking to Apple a lot...are they pretty easy to get a hold of? In general I dread calling customer service numbers, so I've never thought of it, but I'll definitely try. Which number should I use? Or is email better? Thanks!
I think Apple is one of the easiest companies to get on the phone :)

Derek Gisriel

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
yeah i have this problem as well. i'm not sure how it works. but it's like this..

1) i put airplane mode on.

2) the screen goes to sleep

3) 50/50 chance that when i wake it, i will see bars or the airplane.

anyone have a solution?
I would just call the customer service # they have their webpage or if you have an Apple store nearby, take it in. I wouldn't recommend AT&T store, they are idiots when it comes to that phone. Anyways, good luck. I haven't experienced the problems you are, hopefully they can fix it somehow.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I travel frequently and I've been in Europe for about 3 weeks now. Airplane mode has been turned on all along and never had any issue with it.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I would imagine Apple would have gotten into trouble with the FCC if the phone's radio(s) turned on by themselves. So I doubt this is a universal problem.

And also keep in mind that if you try to do something that requires 'Net access, such as using the email app, the iPhone will ask if you want to turn airplane mode off, and it will do so if you let it. Perhaps this is the source of the confusion.

--
Mike

RyanP

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
I would imagine Apple would have gotten into trouble with the FCC if the phone's radio(s) turned on by themselves. So I doubt this is a universal problem.

And also keep in mind that if you try to do something that requires 'Net access, such as using the email app, the iPhone will ask if you want to turn airplane mode off, and it will do so if you let it. Perhaps this is the source of the confusion.

--
Mike
So do you think that b/c I have automatic email retrieval set, that it goes and tries to get my email and turns off airplane mode by itself? I can literally put it in my pocket, locked and in airplane mode, and when I pull it out, it is off of airplane mode (and I assume with it locked, nothing could have gotten inadvertently pressed).

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
So do you think that b/c I have automatic email retrieval set, that it goes and tries to get my email and turns off airplane mode by itself? I can literally put it in my pocket, locked and in airplane mode, and when I pull it out, it is off of airplane mode (and I assume with it locked, nothing could have gotten inadvertently pressed).
I am not sure about that Ryan, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. I was on a flight recently, with the iPhone in airplane mode naturally, and needed to look at an email. Well this was easier said than done. First the iPhone wanted--almost insisted IIRC--that I agree to turn airplane mode off. I didn't agree. And then while I was trying to look at the email the data indicator on the status bar started spinning, as if it was trying to access data (yet the airplane mode indicator was still on--weird). Anyway it finally locked up and I had to turn off my iPhone to get out of it. I found it very odd and disturbing that the mail app was so insistent about going online (and I have auto-checking set to manual).

Anyhoo, I hope Mail doesn't allow airplane mode to be overridden on its own. But again, at this point it would not surprise me.

--
Mike

joew

Feb 16, 2008
I have this problem too

I realize this is an old thread - but I have this problem too, and it's the only place on the internet I can find mention of it.

Exactly the symptoms you describe - I turn on Airplane Mode, then at some point later - sometimes just a minute or two - I discover the phone has switched it off again.

It's intermittent - sometimes the phone happily stays Airplaned for hours.

When I went to Germany this was a real nuisance, because I was trying to stop my phone from using data. It's also a pain around my monitor speakers at home, which aren't shielded.