Anyone have Apple store give up on Activating new iPhone?

oclin627

Jul 2, 2007
I spent 4 hours at Apple store trying to activate new 3G iPhone, and in the process wasted 3 new iPhone because after you start the activation process you can't resale the phone if the process is not completed.

In my case, everytime we got to the last step, ATT couldn't verify my existing ATT account telephone number, even when in the previous steps it pulled up all my information.

Apple employees tried many times and even walked me over to the local ATT store to find a solution, in the end without sucess.

I called ATT when i got home, got to the activation department to find out there was a know issue.

If you're an exiting iPhone user that got rid of your old iPhone and have been using a temporary phone in anticipation of getting new one. Apple store will not activate your phone when the IMEI number doesn't match up to your original iPhone.

This is the explanation i got from ATT, but she did say going directly to ATT store may bypass this issue. That it was Apple system being very strict.

Honestly, it still doesn't make sense to me. Has anyone else who has been using a different phone have this issue?

I would prefer to buy it from Apple since i have $100 credit from buying the original iPhone.

Thanks

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
They Didn't let you leave the store with the iPhone3G not activated, the AT&T stores did.

oclin627

Jul 2, 2007
I couldn't get out of Apple store, because Apple couldn't confirm my account at the end of registration process. The Apple employee told me they couldn't let me leave with phone unless phone was activated or maybe registered with ATT.

In my case, it wasn't the network being down, but my existing ATT account not being valid?

where i live you activated them at home

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Even though you aren't technically a current iPhone user because of the IMEI on your account, it's odd they didn't forward your account to the $399/$499 phone option.

Out of curiosity, did you tell ATT that you were going to use a temporary phone or buy it from them directly so they could register it with your account alongside your iPhone?

oclin627

Jul 2, 2007
I believe they could have done that, but i qualified for $199/$299 upgrade so i didn't want to pay more. I've had the old iPhone since they first launched.

I didn't tell them i was using temporary phone, but i noticed on my account online that it already identified my backup Treo 650 as the phone i was using. So the network already registered the backup phone.

Apparently, on Apple's end to complete the purchase it needs to verify your currently IMEI number is an iPhone number? I'm not sure.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem at the Apple store.

Even though you aren't technically a current iPhone user because of the IMEI on your account, it's odd they didn't forward your account to the $399/$499 phone option.

Out of curiosity, did you tell ATT that you were going to use a temporary phone or buy it from them directly so they could register it with your account alongside your iPhone?