Anyone Have Experience with iBookstore Publishing? Help?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Anyone have experience with publishing to the iBookstore? I ask because I recently published an eBook via an online publisher. The book has received a couple negative reviews because the sample section offered up by the iBookstore (as kind of a try before you buy) is just a slice of the Introduction, not a 'real' chapter.

I have contacted the publishing co a few times and asked how we can change what is offered as the sample. They insist that it is impossible to do that. That seems off to me, as the vast majority of iBooks I look at have samples that are real chapters. So I pressed them again on this today and got a slightly different response. This time they told me that if I was a 'big publishing company' then I might have some leeway in choosing what is selected as a sample; but because my eBook was submitted by 'an independent artist' I have no such leeway.

Two things strike me as far fetched or just wrong about this:

1) They're saying the iBookstore has a completely different policy on this for 'big' publishers and independent publishers. For something as simple as choosing what the sample section is?

2) The reason I used the publisher was so that I was a bit less of a rookie, solo guy submitting - so they could help me through some of the hoops of publishing. That's certainly part of their sales pitch - but apparently when it comes to helping me with what seems to me like a very simple issue, I'm back to being on my own. Despite the fact I did not submit the book directly, they did - and they are supposed to have an established publisher relationship with the iBookstore.

Is it just me or does this sound sketchy as hell?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Wow. I had emailed Apple / iBookstore support about this. Just got a reply that states 100% clearly that the publisher absolutely CAN deliver a chosen sample for the book.

Lying SOBs at that publishing company.