Anyone have the ecobee3 thermostat?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I almost purchased the ecobee3 a few weeks back, but held off due to confusion over how to wire it with my heating/cooling system. I currently have the Nest installed, but was intrigued by the use of sensors to provide more balanced heating. The unit itself looks nice and from what I've seen of the app, it too is well done. Though not confirmed, it's rumored they'll support Apple's Homekit. They are also prominently featured in the Apple Store. They had a deal where you could get 3 sensors and the thermostat for $250.

I'm typically ok with basic electrical, but found the wiring to be confusing on the ecobee3. It doesn't appear as if I have a c-wire, so would need to use their power extender kit. Looking at my furnace and HVAC, I realized pretty quickly that I have no idea where this would get installed. At that point, I called and cancelled my order.

Just curious if anyone else has ordered the ecobee3 and what their experience has been? Much of this was prompted by my Nest continuously going offline.

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
Nest updates their firmware frequently and each new version alters the stability of the device. I'm using a Nest downstairs but I might want to try something different upstairs. I love my Nest but I'm intrigues by both the Honeywell Lyric and the ecobee3. Incidentally, when I connected my Nest the C-wire (power) was a huge problem. Everything I read and everything I know about wiring told me it was necessary. But the Nest couldn't hold a charge with it connected. When I disconnected the C-wire the Nest worked perfectly, leeching power from the other wires (I guess). Some folks on the Nest forums confirmed that in some cases the C-wire was not needed.

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
Unless you have a multi zone heating and cooling system, I don't see the advantage of the ecobee. Lacking multiple zones, all you do is make the one room too warm and the other room too cool by averaging. Just MHO.
I agree. I'd really like to do a comparison of the Honeywell Lyric and the Nest. I'd standardize on whichever proved superior.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Most wet systems work off an on/off basis whether it being switched by a digital or hard-wired thermostat - simple control will work for most houses, it gets a little more complicated when you bring in multiple zones. Using Sensors will/can trigger valve actuators for individual zones on demand. These systems are good and will work, but at the moment I don't think they're clever enough. Things such as frost protection are pretty basic features, but are these systems looking at an outside air reference temperature and room temperature, can they perform pump run on and pump changeover?

I've been contemplating buying a Next for my new home, but I know I'll probably rip it out in a few years, so I'd rather wait and try my best to future-proof my central heating system until these improve. I appreciate the clever

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
Last edited by a moderator: