Anyone have warranty issues at an Apple store?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Muckcityjustin, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Muckcityjustin

Gold

So my mother has been having issues with her 4s lately. She had no sound unless having headphones plugged in. Now I tried to plug and unplug headphones with no luck I also tried to do a restore. So I told her to do the typical trip to Apple since she has another month under warranty. I checked before she went to make sure no water damage and none of the triggers were red. Now when she went to Apple today they told her that she had water damage and they could not replace the phone. Now she has had her phone in a lifeproof case since day one of purchase so she was in shock. I checked again when I stopped over after work and I did not see any red indicators at all. Now I am pretty sure they have indicators or LCI on the inside of the device but if they were triggered wouldn't the ones in the headphone jack or charging port be triggered?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Sadly as I'm hoping you know, if the Apple store sees possible damage, in this case water damage, created by the iPhone owner, they will not be able to replace the device. Have you tried to take the iPhone to Best Buy or any other store to get other answers? I have never been in this situation, but I believe that before you do anything else, you should take the device elsewhere to see what your options are, and if it really is water damage.

Sent using iCafe app

3. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I've had experiences where the Apple store wouldn't replace my phone but when I called Apple they replaced it in a heartbeat. Not the answer to your question, I know, but you can always try that too if you're sure it doesn't have water damage.

4. Muckcityjustin

Gold

Oh yeah I completely know the "Apple rules" when it comes to water damage. I've had 2 water damaged iPhone's before. Both my fault I couln't argue that. But both times I was clearly able to see the red LCI. My moms phone is literally pristine condition I don't even think she has taken it out of the lifeproof case since she purchased the phone. I looked for red indicators for like 5 minutes with nothing to see at all. Maybe I will take it to best buy or even a different Apple store since I have 3 around me within 20 minutes.

5. Muckcityjustin

Gold

This is actually a great idea.. Thank you!

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That would be great to do in my opinion. See what other people think and have them run tests to see what the problem is. If you and your mom are positive that no water has gotten near the iPhone, then I'm hoping y'all can get it fixed.

If they do however still say that it's due to water damage, then I would then question the life-proof case.

Sent using iCafe app

7. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

There are also water sensors inside the phone. You have to remove the back plate to see them, which only take a minute or so to do. Did she say of they took it in the back or did they just look in the normal areas? Headphone port, charging area & I think there is one by the sim tray.

8. Muckcityjustin

Gold

She didn't say but I will ask her. I really figured that if the ones inside were triggered one of the one on the outside would of been. I thought only the 5 had one near the sim tray?

9. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I say go back yourself and see what they tell you

10. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

@muckcitynustin I also remember reading something about making sure you have some type of music playing when you do the headphone trick. Plugging them in and unplugging them quickly a few times. I don't know how valid that is though.

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I had a bad experience with Apple's service and wrote an extensive blog post about it. From the comments on my post, there are quite a few people who have had problems.

It's been in a Lifeproof, but has the iPhone been in the water at all? Did it have the Lifeproof case on when you went into the Apple Store. I wonder if having a water proof case on the iPhone 4S made them more apt to deny her coverage?

#11 chris, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  12. Muckcityjustin

Gold

I'm sure it's been in the water a bit when they went on vacation but other then that I'm not sure. She is going today to a different Apple store to try her luck. I said the same thing to her about the waterproof case. I made sure to have her remove it and put it in another case she has laying around before she goes.

#12 Muckcityjustin, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  13. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Good luck. I'm curious to hear how she makes out.

14. Muckcityjustin

Gold

Well she went to another Apple store. She left the waterproof case at home and out it in a speck case. She went in and said that she's tried the headphone trick to get sound back and nothing seems to be working. The gentleman who waited on her didn't even take it in the back she said he just looked in the headphone jack and the pin connector and immediately said it was a hardware issue and replaced the phone. This really makes me wonder what the heck the other store was doing. But in the end I'm glad she got it replaced.

Sent using iCafe app