Anyone having 3G issues in NYC

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
thats weird...i thought nyc would be one of the best places for 3G...guess not. thats why i keep saying: Apple and AT&T rushed this phone too the stores too early without proper testing. they're going to have to get their crap together. Here in Dallas, 3G is great and works everywhere. Except at my house, the 3G signal is way down and switches to EDGE. no dropped calls though. Everywhere else the 3G is flawless. Thanks for the post!

The Stig

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
I was in NYC last week an my 3g reception sucked donkey balls. I live in south Florida and have 3g every where I go. Hell it's faster than the wifi in my house LOL.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
Its so weird to hear this. I was under the impression that NYC was one of the best places with 3G reception. Looks can be deceiving I guess though...haha

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Its so weird to hear this. I was under the impression that NYC was one of the best places with 3G reception. Looks can be deceiving I guess though...haha
NYC and its suburbs have great 3G reception. This is a temporary issue, but nonetheless it's bugging the crap out of me. Nothing requiring an internet connection is working for me, or when I do get connectivity, it's very limited.

This seems like a temp AT&T issue and they better get on fixing it pronto. I am complaining a day after the original poster's complaint regarding my service, which shouldn't happen in a market this large.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
My 3G signal has been bad for a few weeks now. I live in NJ and when i bought my iPhone 3G at the 5th Ave store it worked sooo well even when i got home it was fantastic. I was floored!

Now, for some reason these last three weeks the 3G has been showing it's entire A*S and I don't know why. I thought maybe it has something to do with the weather.
That's just me giving excuses for what Apple and AT&T should have perfected before the launch.

Nevertheless, I love my iPhone 3G. Today it's wearing a pink silicone cover. :)

(Sometimes the girl moments just come out of me. I can't stop it. I'll try not to let them slip so much :))

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
It usually is pretty great but yesterday it was pretty bad. I had to reset my phone a couple of times because it would not work. That made me think if it was the network or the phone.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
It usually is pretty great but yesterday it was pretty bad. I had to reset my phone a couple of times because it would not work. That made me think if it was the network or the phone.
It's continuing to be bad for me. Actually I didn't really have a problem yesterday but today it's horrendous.

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
bingo...thats the same thing i was doing....i was trying to get simpified media to work on 3g...and of course 3g was not working at all...i was mad...

as someone said above...it sucks donkey balls and monkey pole too...all at the same time...
:)

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Anyone still having issues? My service is still crap. Meanwhile, I have 5 bars as always. Anytime I try to load a site, it sits with that 5% complete loading blue meter. My maps don't come up; I have a blue dot pulsing with no map behind it! What good is that? My mail doesn't get checked, it just sits and spins forever.

I don't know what to say. It's been really awful since Thursday.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
They'll probably fix it in a software update as rumored. In Dallas, where I am, I have great reception almost everywhere. When I went to a friends house for a party, the reception switched to EDGE and when I'm in my house, it switches to EDGE as well. Argh! Everywhere else I go, reception is great.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
I heard the problem is the chipset in the phone itself. So it should be easier to fix with a software update than recalling all of the phones, which would suck for Apple.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I don't think the current issues in NYC have anything to do with the iPhone as I've been in NYC a number of times since getting my 3G and have had zero problems with the service.

I have not been there in a few weeks and notice all these posts say the service has been bad the past couple of days? Not since they got their iPhone.

NYC has been having a lot of crazy weather (storms). I have a feeling that might have something to do with the bad service. I was at my parents' last night (in a suburb) and because of the crazy weather, their internet service is acting weird.

I think this just might be a problem people cannot blame on Apple.

Jun 30, 2007
Yeah having problems sending email and loading pages here
on long island, ny too

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
AT&T and Apple rushed the release of the iPhone 3G way too soon without the proper testing it needed. They are going to suffer the consequences at some point though for rushing the phone and overpricing it and trying to disguise it. *sigh*
What's going on with the world these days? Ha

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
AT&T and Apple rushed the release of the iPhone 3G way too soon without the proper testing it needed. They are going to suffer the consequences at some point though for rushing the phone and overpricing it and trying to disguise it. *sigh*
What's going on with the world these days? Ha
As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't think the current problems in NYC have anything to do with AT&T or Apple. Not everything is a hardware/software problem. Remember the phone depends not only on itself, but the service (server). If something has been wrong in NYC for the past few days, chances are it's not the phone.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't think the current problems in NYC have anything to do with AT&T or Apple. Not everything is a hardware/software problem. Remember the phone depends not only on itself, but the service (server). If something has been wrong in NYC for the past few days, chances are it's not the phone.
You are right, I am saying that my phone worked just fine (even if there are known 3G dead spots, but that's a whole other issue.) The last two days, however, has been night and day from how it usually performs.

Regarding this issue, I believe it's back up and running near normal again. Anyone else have this issue resolved in the last few hours?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
You are right, I am saying that my phone worked just fine (even if there are known 3G dead spots, but that's a whole other issue.) The last two days, however, has been night and day from how it usually performs.

Regarding this issue, I believe it's back up and running near normal again. Anyone else have this issue resolved in the last few hours?
I truly believe the issues were related to all the crazy storms we've been having.