Anyone having any luck with Yahoo "push"?

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
I know this topic has been discussed before, but after all this time, I'm still having serious unreliability with Yahoo mail. I can't believe there hasn't been a fix for this. Is there anyone who has not had any problems with Yahoo's push mail?

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I know this topic has been discussed before, but after all this time, I'm still having serious unreliability with Yahoo mail. I can't believe there hasn't been a fix for this. Is there anyone who has not had any problems with Yahoo's push mail?
What kinds of problems are you having? I cannot send yahoo mail on EDGE at all. I am using name@mydomain.com for yahoo small businesss. I can send my gmail fine...

spazzman90

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007

Sorry to say, but due to my experiences I can't recommend Yahoo mail at all.

I've been testing reliability since purchasing my iPhone on the original sales day. Needless to say both sending and receiving mail has been extremely inconsistent from the day I set it up until I finally gave up about 3 weeks ago. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to its madness. Both sending and receiving e-mails could be anywhere from instant to upto 24 hours before. It bothered me a little, but not enough to make me switch. Finally in early December, it 'lost' a couple of fairly important emails I wanted to send. That was the last straw.

I switched to the Gmail and it works as I would expect. Mails are sent and received in a timely fashion. I have it set to check every hour. As I would expect, the mail will show a little '1' when an email is received, which I could never get the yahoo to ever do without actually going into the email.

Conclusion ditch yahoo and their crappy service. Yes, I do believe this has more to do with problems with yahoo. Even accessing through the web I had problems sending and receiving mails in a timely fashion.

-Jeff

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
I agree completely Spazz, and I too have switched to Gmail and I also set up my Yahoo on the server so all my Yahoo mail gets forwarded to Gmail which then gets sent to my iPhone every 15 minutes which is way more reliable than Yahoo ever was.
Shame on Yahoo (or Apple) for not addressing this problem yet.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
The problem from what I undestand with Yahoo email is the way in which it's implemented. It's not real "push" email. Instead a specially formatted txt message gets sent to your phone which your phone understands and then checks yahoo to pull down the message. My guess is this txt->email doesn't work as well as it should either because the iPhone misses the text message or it just screws up somewhere in the translation or yahoo's servers could just suck. I prefer having my GMail IMAP check every 5 minutes as I'm guaranteed to get it.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Sometimes like yesterday the yahoo mail was very slow, even to the point on an SMS text message, I sent one to a friend to ask if they left their house yet. Then 10 minutes later they arrived, and then an hour and a half later I get a reply that they would be there shortly...duh

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
The problem from what I undestand with Yahoo email is the way in which it's implemented. It's not real "push" email. Instead a specially formatted txt message gets sent to your phone which your phone understands and then checks yahoo to pull down the message. My guess is this txt->email doesn't work as well as it should either because the iPhone misses the text message or it just screws up somewhere in the translation or yahoo's servers could just suck. I prefer having my GMail IMAP check every 5 minutes as I'm guaranteed to get it.
5 Min? I don't have the option for 5 minutes.