Anyone having problems with certain chargers with the new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iphoneint, Mar 16, 2012.

1. iphoneint

iphoneint Member
    Bronze

I have an IDAPT 4 device charger that I use for both my iPhone and the iPad2. So far I have had no problems with it charging my iPad 2. When I plug in the new iPad to it, the percentage indicator changes to Not Charging.

I was wandering if anyone else was having any issues with a third party charger that charges the iPad 2 but not the new one?

Thanks.

2. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

Actually, I am unable to charge my iPad 3 (that's what I'm calling it doggone it) while seated in my iPad dock connected to the USB port of my MacBook Pro. 15" mid 2011, to boot. Maybe it wasn't seated well? Should be interesting...

3. chazmink

chazmink New Member

I too have the not charging issue. What I determined is that it is not the aftermarket charger that is the issue but aftermarket cables. If I connect the cable that came with the new iPad it works fine my aftermarket chargers. Strange since the cables worked fine with my iPad 2.

4. Dallas Phil

Dallas Phil Member
    Bronze

I am having issues and am using the charger that came with mine. It is taking FOREVER to charge. Also I have been watching Netfix on it while here in the office. I have it plugged in with the charger and cable that came with it to an outlet, and am watching the thing de-charge. It actually shut itself off while charging, less than 1%. Anyone else having similar issues? Thanks.

5. iphoneint

iphoneint Member
    Bronze

I am glad that the change in cable helped in your case. I have tried three different cables with it, and the results are the same, so I will have to say that it is probably the charger. I am wandering if the tolerance is tighter with the new iPad, or if it is really trying to draw more current than the charger can provide.

6. eye-Fone

eye-Fone Zealot
    Gold

So that we all can understand the issue, please define "forever". How low was your battery (%) when you started charging it and how long did it take to get back to 100%?

7. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

the new ipad takes longer to charge I also suggest to plugg it in the wall outlet

8. eye-Fone

eye-Fone Zealot
    Gold

I left my official iPad charger at the office yesterday so last night, I plugged it into my iPhone charger. It was a tighter fit than the iPad connector, but it fit and it charged it. I don't know how long it took, but it was at 75% at the time and when I woke up this morning, it was 100%. That was from around 1:30 am to about 6:30 am.

9. iphoneint

iphoneint Member
    Bronze

Do you mean that you had it plugged in to the iPhone power brick as well? Did it say Not Charging...? Although it does still accept a charge but very slowly.

10. Beemer

Beemer Member
    Bronze

The new iPad requires a charger capable of outputting 10 watts or 2Amps of current. Most PC's and Laptops can not produce this amount of wattage and thus won't charge your iPad. I have found a 1AMP charger will sustain the power but struggles to actually charge the battery. There is nothing wrong with your chargers, they are just underpowered.

11. eye-Fone

eye-Fone Zealot
    Gold

Yes, it was connected to my iPhone plug (or "brick"). It did not say "Not Charging" and it did have a lightning bolt in the middle of the battery icon.

Sent from my iPad 3

12. Josz

Josz New Member

Hey all,

I'm having the same problems with my iPad with the charger. I arranged a list here with charging tips so that the process costs as little time as possible. I hope it will be of help!