Anyone here listen to Jonathan Coulton?

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
I absolutely love his music! You can buy it from his site, the ones with the :) symbol are totally free for download. You can also download more of them from his "Thing a Week" podcasts (do a search). Or you can play the whole song, and then copy it from your IE cache.

Be sure to check out

Skull Crusher Mountain: a song about an evil genius in love "You’d see the voices that control me from inside my head Say I shouldn’t kill you yet"

Code Monkey: a song about a computer programmar (code monkey) in love

Stroller Town: a song about a stroller race (from baby's POV)

Creepy doll: a song a creepy doll in the attic

That Spells DNA: "Guanine met Cytosine, fell in love And then Thymine got busy with Adenine"

Beige Bear: A song about his wise old teddy bear

Curl: Possibly the only song ever written about the sport of curling.

Chiron Beta Prime: a Christmas song from a family banned to an asteroid in space by the robots

The Town Crotch: What do you think it is about?

Still Alive: sung by the homicidal computer in the Portal game

http://www.jonathancoulton.com/primer

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
I'm scrolling through some of his songs now. I love it! Some of the songs sound like a mundane ballad until you listen to the words...then they're downright entertaining!

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
I'm scrolling through some of his songs now. I love it! Some of the songs sound like a mundane ballad until you listen to the words...then they're downright entertaining!
My brother put it best when he said that, "its like real music but with the worlds most clever lyrics". I also love how all of them have lyrics and most have 'notes' on what it's about. :cool:

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
Wow, I just found a site where he runs a webcam while he records the music. You can see the creative process over several days as he 'builds' the song My Beige Bear

It looks like on day 1 he lays down the drums and bass. Day 2 acoustic guitar and backing vocals,recording these over and over to harmonize with himself and create the sound of several vocalists. Then the lead guitar and lead vocals go down.

Some of the streams are longish, but you can skip forward. Its amazing to see one person, in what looks like a spare bedroom, create great music by himself. One person!

JoCo in a Bubble

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Sorry a little OT but check out "the uninvited", "too high for the supermarket" through iTunes, funny song

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I've never even heard of this guy! Maybe I should crawl out from under this rock and see what's happening in the world.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
Sorry a little OT but check out "the uninvited", "too high for the supermarket" through iTunes, funny song
Giving a listen, oddly, I prefer some of the other tunes, too bad iTunes only allows short previews.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
I've never even heard of this guy! Maybe I should crawl out from under this rock and see what's happening in the world.
Here is an interview with Tom Merrit on cnet.tv. This is how I found him.

http://www.cnettv.com/9742-1_53-32351.html

If you search youtube, you'll find all kinds of fan films. He believes in creative commons, and you can use anything he makes as long as you provide credit. Fans have made all kinds of music videos with his music.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
whats the genre, tone? gimme a hint please..
They're all different, Stroller town is Beach Boyseqe, Code Monkey is 80's power popish, Skullcrusher is mid tempo balled.

edit, if you go to his site, you can download most of the stuff for free, just scroll back through the blog posts. The songs he plays live are all 'unplugged'

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
nice. will check it..thx
It is difficult to pin down a musical style, so listen to a few clips. Geek rock at its best! For example Future Soon. Its about a geek in school who gets ridiculed for liking a girl. He grows up to be a scientist who invents a robot race that starts a war with humanity. As an adult he finds the girl from school but she now has cyborg eyes (lost the real ones in the wars)

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
hahah wow i started to listen to him like 2 months ago..im really happy others are noticing. re your brains, ikea,skymall. prob my favorites. he also said that if you want to you can get a plugin and download all of his music for free