anyone here migrate from a 3G phone?

Deedubau

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
I used to have helio and the internet was amazing on it. Sure the battery life on the phones were horrendous but, I really, really miss the 3g internet speed while i'm not near a hotspot. I just got the iPhone and love it, but really missing the 3g! With that being said, the iPhone has a waaay better interface for navigating and doesn't feel buggy at all!

Does anyone else have the same issue?

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I used to have helio and the internet was amazing on it. Sure the battery life on the phones were horrendous but, I really, really miss the 3g internet speed while i'm not near a hotspot. I just got the iPhone and love it, but really missing the 3g! With that being said, the iPhone has a waaay better interface for navigating and doesn't feel buggy at all!

Does anyone else have the same issue?
I migrated from a Samsung BlackJack which is a 3G phone and I don't miss it for a few reasons. Att's 3G coverage is very spotty here in Los Angeles. And second, it totally drained the the battery when I was in a 3G area. 3G was fast when it worked...

But ya, the browser on the BlackJack is a total joke to what we have on the iPhone. Both the browser and media player on the iPhone are light years ahead of anything that I have seen.

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
I migrated from a Moto Q running Sprint's EVDO. Frankly, I haven't seen a whole lot of difference in speed between my Q when browsing pages and AT&T Edge. Of course, when I'm connnected via WiFI there is a huge difference.

Sep 5, 2007
I migrated from a Samsung BlackJack which is a 3G phone and I don't miss it for a few reasons. Att's 3G coverage is very spotty here in Los Angeles. And second, it totally drained the the battery when I was in a 3G area. 3G was fast when it worked...

But ya, the browser on the BlackJack is a total joke to what we have on the iPhone. Both the browser and media player on the iPhone are light years ahead of anything that I have seen.
I too migrated from a Blackjack, and even though the 3G coverage was excellent in Metro Atlanta, I had always thought the 3G speeds I actually got never lived up to the hype. When the phone was out of 3G range and switched to EDGE, it was slower but never as great of a difference as I expected it to be. Of course, my experience was probably colored by the fact that the browser on the Blackjack is a joke compared to the iPhone and the lousiness of WAP internet further compounded the frustration.

For that reason, and because of the iPhone's good wifi implementation, I also don't miss 3G as much as I thought.

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I came from Verizon, had a moto Q with evdo. Honestly, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Plus the moto Q was a terrible device, so even if the EVDO was faster than edge, its not like you ever wanted to use the device.

Personally I don't mind the trade-off b/c of battery life, seems like most 3g devices (q, included) are horrible. Until they can fix that, I'm fine with edge+wifi

Sep 5, 2007
I came from Verizon, had a moto Q with evdo. Honestly, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Plus the moto Q was a terrible device, so even if the EVDO was faster than edge, its not like you ever wanted to use the device.

Personally I don't mind the trade-off b/c of battery life, seems like most 3g devices (q, included) are horrible. Until they can fix that, I'm fine with edge+wifi
So true - the Blackjack is notorious for poor battery life. For me, a full battery charge would last one (1) day! If it wasn't charged every single night, even if just left on standby, you were hosed the next day.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I came from the Q on EVDO and I have to say I notice a BIG difference between EVDO and EDGE. EDGE is terrible. And for the most part I'm in a good coverage area for both most of the time. Though as stated the iPhone is a better device then the Q so I guess it evens out. Plus the WiFi part cant be beat.