Anyone here use Google sync for calendar?

mayhem203

Feb 12, 2009
Hi,
i was wondering if u can use google sync without syncing contacts with google contacts. my coworker used google sync and every contact in his phone that wasn't in his gmail disappeared. i want to be able to have my gmail calendar sync'd but i don't want to lose any phone numbers nor do i want to input every number into gmail. Any advice?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, I don't use Google Sync (yet), but I use Nuevasync. They both use the activesync protocol, so I imagine their setup is similar, in which case you have the option to selectively sync calendar, contacts, or both.

When I made the "Google switch" with my contacts and calendar, I was using Outlook at the time to sync everything. So before I setup cloud syncing with Google, I exported my calendar and contacts from Outlook and imported them into Google. I merged and cleaned it all up before my first sync with the iPhone. If you want to play it safe, this is the way to go, as you have CSV files as backups of all your contacts should something go wrong.

mayhem203

Feb 12, 2009
wow, thats a little confusing. i don't have my contacts sync'd with outlook either...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, you can still use Windows Address Book, then export from there as a CSV (comma separated values) file, which is just a specially formatted text file. You can then upload this to Google to get all your contacts there before you start syncing.

In iTunes, when your iPhone is connected, select it under "devices" on the left. Then hit the "info" tab along the top. That's where you set your sync options. For contacts, pick Windows Address Book. Sync your phone.

Now, you might not know how to get to the Windows Address Book (WAB), so just hit the windows key+r to open the run dialog and enter "WAB" without the quotes. That should open it up and you'll see your contacts from the phone. Go to "file" then "export", then "other address book". Select "Text file (Comma separated value)" and pick where to save it. That's what you'll import into Google.

Make sense?

GSA190

Bronze
Oct 29, 2007
New York
I use google sync for my calanders. When you plug your iPhone into your computer and on iTunes, the iPhone screen comes up with the several tabs. I'm not to sure because i'm not on it at the moment but one of the tabs, I think it is info, Their are separate sections such as contants and calanders. I just set mine to sync from my google contants.

mayhem203

Feb 12, 2009
when u sync your contacts to google, whatever is in google goes to your phone...so if u have numbers in your iPhone not in google, they will get deleted.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This is correct. That's why i suggest merging your contacts with Google first using the method I outlined.

mayhem203

Feb 12, 2009
thanks psylichon, ill try...u just totally confused me tho.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well step through that second post of mine and let me know if you come across any problems.

mayhem203

Feb 12, 2009
im on a mac, not windows. does that matter. u say used windows address book

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It sure does. I'm sure there's a mac equivalent. Hopefully some Mac people can chime in.

gjantz1

Jan 19, 2009
has any one used a program called markspace? Will it sync cal. and contacts? with 2 computers 1 or more time a day?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I use google sync to sync nothing but calendars. It works perfect. It doesn't delete any contacts, as you have slide switches on them to decide what to sync.

The only problem is that you can only have one exchange server on the iPhone at one time, so you have to pick what you prefer!

Nikki205

Bronze
Oct 8, 2007
Could you explain what you mean when you say "you can have only one exchange server on the iPhone at one time"? I would like to sync iPhone calendar and Google Calendar without dealing with contact moving etc.
Also would you review the steps taken to make app work?
Thanks in advance for your help.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Ok, basically when you set up google sync using the iPhone it uses something called exchange server. This means your calendar will 2 way sync instantly.

To set this up, tap settings, then mail then add account and exchange, see this site for full instructions: http://www.google.com/mobile/ios/

The limitation with doing this is that you can only have 1 "exchange" type mail / contact / calendar sync at anyone time, so for me, i cant have my work emails pushed to my phone at the same time as having this... but if you literally only want your google calendar on your iPhone and you can sync contacts another way great.

I have my gmail account set up as fetch every 15 mins, my google calendar on the exchange push service and my work email forwarded to my personal gmail box when im away from the office... hope this explains how you can do it, but obviously each person had different needs

mayhem203

Feb 12, 2009
hey croucher, check your private messages. thanks

gjantz1

Jan 19, 2009
Google Calender can sync iPhone, and two computers without creating dups?
Thanks

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Well I haven't tried this yet because it appears google calendar isn't working right now. But my current set up is I sync my contacts on my phone to yahoo contacts and my calendar is synced to iCal. I have some app that syncs iCal to google calendar so hopefully this exchange thing will cut out the middle man. I just have to import my yahoo contacts to my gmail contacts (almost done) and I should be fine.

Hopefully this works but I have been waiting to sync to google cal...its by far the best calendar.

UPDATE: Ok So I tried it out and it works great. You do loose all your contacts and calendar events on the phone when you first set it up so be sure that everything is in your google before syncing. Its so fast everything updates within seconds!

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
You only loose all your contacts if you ask google to sync your accounts, you can flick the switch over to off and i don't think it deletes them? I could be wrong but im sure i didn't loose mine?

All you need to do anyway if they get deleted is sync back with iTunes, ask it to sync contacts and replace all contacts on the phone this time only

Nikki205

Bronze
Oct 8, 2007
Thanks for your help. Setup went well without a hitch but I was not able to sync over my public Calendars (Yankee and RedSox schedules). Both show in my Google Calendar on my PC but didn't move over to the iPhone. I tested one date and moved it over manually and that was successful but is there a fast way to get all moved to the iPhone. (324 manual moves is a little daunting).
Also I had been using Saisuke- an app for the iPhone which synced the Google calendar. That app synced the entire Google calendar including the Public Calendars mentioned above;however, it did not coordinate with the iPhone calendar app and had no means of notification unless one used SMS.I turned the sync for this app OFF figuring it might crash with the sync from the Google calendar sync. Do you thinks this is necessary or can I have both sync and have a backup available on the iPhone.
Thanks again in advance for your help.