Anyone "in the know", know if the 15v charging issue will be solved?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gotzaiPhone, Jul 17, 2008.

1. gotzaiPhone

gotzaiPhone Zealot
    Gold

With 2.0 on my v1, I could still use my direct plug in for my car and it would charge the phone, but with the 3G, I get a "charging not allowed with this accessory" message. It still plays music and cuts the song when I turn the car off, but it sux not to have it charging....

So does anyone know why this is and/or if it will be fixed?

2. netsyd

netsyd New Member

This is because Apple decided to disable the firewire charging pin in the iP3G. Google for "iPhone 3G firewire charging" and you'll see the reasoning - but long story short it was a legacy thing and Apple chose to stop supporting its older technology. Problem is many accessory makers still used the firewire pin for charging.

As for fixing it... good luck. Rumor has it some companies are looking at making an adapter to transfer the power and reduce the voltage - but you're going to be better off finding a replacement. The Griffin Power Jolt or Power Duo should both work. I ended up buying a Power Duo from the Apple Store for like $25 which comes with both a car charger and a wall charger.

3. gotzaiPhone

gotzaiPhone Zealot
    Gold

ouch. The problem is that my cord is directly into my stereo. Hope someone makes an adaptor.