Anyone in the Panama Beach (FL) Area?

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey guys, I'm supposed to be driving down to Panama City, FL a week from today. It's an 18 hour drive and were going so that we can enjoy a week on the beach, or at least my girlfriend thinks so. I looked at the weather and I'm seeing Highs from 60-75 degrees all week --- doesn't sound like my day at the beach. She says that if its 70 degrees and the sun is out, it will feel, "Hot as Hell," I call BS.

So How's it feel down there? Beach-able?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Hey guys, I'm supposed to be driving down to Panama City, FL a week from today. It's an 18 hour drive and were going so that we can enjoy a week on the beach, or at least my girlfriend thinks so. I looked at the weather and I'm seeing Highs from 60-75 degrees all week --- doesn't sound like my day at the beach. She says that if its 70 degrees and the sun is out, it will feel, "Hot as Hell," I call BS.

So How's it feel down there? Beach-able?
You might need to drive a lot further south. Northern Florida gets pretty cold in the winter at night. It might be warm in the day but the water is pretty cold. Now Ft Lauderdale/Miami Beach is a different story...Mark

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Mark is correct. Panama is pretty far up and it does get considerably cooler there than in the lower half of the state. We had a high of 82 here today in Tampa so I imagine Miami was even hotter. The low is a meager 54.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
The sun can change the temperature considerably. I'm in Atlanta, GA and it was 53 early afternoon today. However, the sun was out and it was cloudless - so I ended up wearing short sleeves and sandals. This worked out well until I stepped in shaded areas.

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Well, we talked about it, and she won. We're going. Oh well, I already have the time off work. Just wish I could afford to fly down there instead of drive 20 hours!

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
I grew up in that area. If the temp is what you say, you'll have a good time at the beach as long as it is not windy. The wind chill could make it feel really cold.

I'm not sure how long you will be there, but if it does happen to get cold (and it very well could), the frigid weather doesn't last for more than a day or two.

You may as well add "Panama City" to you iPhone's weather app!

Enjoy your trip and let us know how it went when you return.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Everyone has said it. The water will be cold. Enjoy the trip, though!

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
The water temp right now is 66 degrees (F). This is chilly by Gulf of Mexico standards. However, I now live in Southern California and 66 is enjoyed by many of us surfers. Being in the water at that temp is fine for a little while, but longer than say, 15-20 minutes, you'll want a light wetsuit.