anyone know about remote desktop

miketl

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
i did a search but i was not successful.. does anyone know how i can get remote desktop on my iPhone.. thanks

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
i did a search but i was not successful.. does anyone know how i can get remote desktop on my iPhone.. thanks
If you mean Remote Desktop as in Windows XP/Vista then there is no RDP client for the iPhone (at least not yet).

However there are other solutions. Search for VNsea which works fairly well (native VNC client, available via Installer).

There is also the--much slower--control via Safari route. The solutions here include RDM+ and myf2p.com (testing the latter right now). You can also use a customized version of TightVNC with Safari. All of the Safari solutions' ability to remote control are, IMO, sub-par. Oh yes, Logmein sorta works too (not Gotomypc).

--
Mike

miketl

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
If you mean Remote Desktop as in Windows XP/Vista then there is no RDP client for the iPhone (at least not yet).

However there are other solutions. Search for VNsea which works fairly well (native VNC client, available via Installer).

There is also the--much slower--control via Safari route. The solutions here include RDM+ and myf2p.com (testing the latter right now). You can also use a customized version of TightVNC with Safari. All of the Safari solutions' ability to remote control are, IMO, sub-par. Oh yes, Logmein sorta works too (not Gotomypc).

--
Mike
hey thanks dude..

i actually have VNsea on my iPhone already i guess i didn't know what it was.

just wondering if u knew what i would put in the related fileds

name (enter session name)
address (enter hostname [:port]
password
display

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
hey thanks dude..

i actually have VNsea on my iPhone already i guess i didn't know what it was.

just wondering if u knew what i would put in the related fileds

name (enter session name)
address (enter hostname [:port]
password
display
Name: A nickname for the connection (not important)
Address: IP address of VNC server.
Password: The password set on the VNC server.
Display: Leave it at 0.

The biggest issue, for most people, with VNC on the iPhone is that it requires either a public IP address (to use outside the local WLAN containing the VNC server) or dynDNS to work properly (and, usually, forwarded ports).

It's best to start out on the local WLAN and test it via WiFi.

--
Mike

miketl

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
Name: A nickname for the connection (not important)
Address: IP address of VNC server.
Password: The password set on the VNC server.
Display: Leave it at 0.

The biggest issue, for most people, with VNC on the iPhone is that it requires either a public IP address (to use outside the local WLAN containing the VNC server) or dynDNS to work properly (and, usually, forwarded ports).

It's best to start out on the local WLAN and test it via WiFi.

--
Mike
thanks..

now i just have to locate this information