Anyone know best carrier in India for 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by NHL Fever, Jan 23, 2013.

1. NHL Fever

NHL Fever Member
    Bronze

I'm traveling to India for about a month. Does anyone know which carriers there will support talk and 3G for my 4S. Any clue who has the most reliable, fastest network? I plan to pop in a local sim when I arrive,

Any advice appreciated

Sent using iCafe app

2. NHL Fever

NHL Fever Member
    Bronze

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Vodafone and Airtel are two of the biggest GSM carriers there. The have prepaid SIM cards and they will work in any unlocked phone with a SIM tray, including iPhones. The iPhone 4S can access Vodaphone's 3G network where it is available. Since you didn't post which cities you'll be in, I can't confirm if it is a 3G or 2G area.

4. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

Between the two, I would say Vodafone has better 3G coverage. Been using Vodafone in India for years. They have both micro and nano sims available at any of their stores.

Also, most cities are 3G enabled by now. But again u need to confirm in their respective sites.

Vodafone.in
    Airtel.in

Sent using iCafe app

5. NHL Fever

NHL Fever Member
    Bronze

Ok thanks guys. The city will be Bangalore. I see many carriers have 3G on 2100mhz there. Any idea on which would have the most reliable or have the fastest most consistent data rates?

Sent using iCafe app

6. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

U won't go wrong with either Vodafone or Airtel. Both are good. Rates are similar. Just pick one that comes on your way :)

Sent using iCafe app

7. NHL Fever

NHL Fever Member
    Bronze

Thanks great to hear from someone with experience there. Any place to go to or avoid when getting a sim? Ripoffs etc?

Sent using iCafe app

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can buy the SIM at a Vodafone store in Bangalore.

9. NHL Fever

NHL Fever Member
    Bronze

I'm sure of it. But this is India we're talking about. When a white guy walks up sometimes that $2 SIM suddenly becomes $20. Even my brown in-laws get this, cause their non-local accent gives them away.

A few more questions for ya....so is it possible to get an account and order prepaid services from here? Or can it only be done in person upon arrival. Looking at their prepaid 'plans', I can't understand what's going on. It's a real mess with a million choices. Is it sort of an a-la-cart thing over there where you pick what you want for talk, data, text etc individually?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Agreed. I've been to Thailand and South Korea and have experienced that first hand.

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

E I'm convinced, either you are brilliant, very old and experienced or a master google searcher lol good job! This is why after all these years I keep returning to this forum, great people like Naps and E.

Sent using iCafe app

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Let me assure you that she's much younger than I am (hubba, hubba!) and she's definitely a Google search master.

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Lol googling is a skill!

Sent using iCafe app

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I know. It wasn't Google at the time, but I honed my search skills in the 90s while building my first computers from scratch. It was probably AltaVista.

15. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

My first build from the ground up was in 2001, played around with water cooled systems, over clocking and finally came to the dark side and went to Mac. All I do now a days is fix pcs for family and friends! Before google I used msn and yahoo.

Sent using iCafe app

16. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

It has to be done in person as you would need to give your identity proof.

Yes the prepaid plans are indeed like a la cart. You have immense flexibility here. You can properly go through what you would need and get them activated on your prepaid number. You can take help from the rep at the Vodafone store. They are very helpful.

Let me know if u need any more help.. :)

Sent using iCafe app

17. Rendercraft3d

Rendercraft3d New Member

We have appointed the advanced technical setup and highly trained workforce to create premium 3D rendering designs