Anyone know when a new Apple TV will be released?

hotskate

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
I love my current Apple TV, but would it's starting to get old. Is Apple working a new model, maybe with support for 1080p? It seems like they don't care about this product and it's a shame. It's excellent.

Has anyone heard when a new Apple TV will be released?

Last edited by a moderator:

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Why? What are you looking for that the current one doesn't have?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the current AppleTV could do that, though. It would just need a major software overhaul.

hotskate

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
The reason why I asked was because http://mactactic.com/ says that Apple tv is over due!... I see that iTunes has all the new releases but you cant rent them for like a month after!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
how is a new AppleTV going to fix that? that is a limitation of iTunes.

the fact is the AppleTV doesn't NEED a hardware update to do what Apple wants it to do.

hotskate

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
No i understand that... Apple usually updates its products every year or so and it has been a while thats the only reason why i am asking... It is frustrating you cant rent movies "new releases" until a month after they are on video.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
see, reasonable companies don't design new products just because they're "due". There has to be some reason for it. Some new feature they want to integrate that new software cannot provide.

right now, i fail to see what else an AppleTV can benefit from beyond a BluRay player, and i don't think Apple is interested in cannibalizing their HD iTunes video purchases/rentals.

But just because i don't see what else they can do with it doesn't mean they don't have something up their sleeves, but there has been no reasonable sign that a new model is in the works.

hotskate

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
understandable what about the whole month after movie is released deal for them to be rentable

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i don't know about that.

if i had to guess, i'd say they delay rentals to encourage people to buy them at full price.

meth2000

Jan 5, 2009
see, reasonable companies don't design new products just because they're "due". There has to be some reason for it. Some new feature they want to integrate that new software cannot provide.

right now, i fail to see what else an AppleTV can benefit from beyond a BluRay player, and i don't think Apple is interested in cannibalizing their HD iTunes video purchases/rentals.

But just because i don't see what else they can do with it doesn't mean they don't have something up their sleeves, but there has been no reasonable sign that a new model is in the works.
I own 1 and I can say that they should release 1 with maybe a 500 GB hard drive, yes I know I can stream but it would be nice to be able to store more on the unit its self.

understandable what about the whole month after movie is released deal for them to be rentable
That is part of the deal that the movie company's make Apple and other media streamers adhere to. Think about with piracy if they release for rental first and those who copy illieagaly, dvd sales would be greatly effected so if they do a dvd for purchase for the 1st month or 2 then release for rental they have a short span of guarenteed profit. Netflix, PPV, Blockbuster, iTunes, Xbox Live they all do it.

acosmichippo is right that is not a hardware issue, or a software issue either.