Anyone know why this is happening to my Mac App icon?

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Can someone tell me or help me understand why the iMKV Extract icon is like this? None of the icons on my mac are like that, and also when iMKV Extract is running, There is no option to open its preferences. Note: I've just recently downloaded iMKV Extract... oddly enough, it was a .tgz, which after downloaded, im guessing "unzipped" itself and then was a folder.

Also, If anyone can help me understand how to get a .mkv into a .m4v format. It would be a life saver. Handbrake cant pull apart the mkv, and im tired of having all my movies in iTunes and all my Anime outside of it.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
.mkv can be played using VLC, which is probably the best video player for Mac. About the conversion part, I only know an application on Windows that converts almost any to any format and it is very customizable and user-friendly. I'm pretty sure a Google search will provide you with a good, perhaps free, video conversion application for Mac.

About the iMkvExtract not showing an icon, I honestly don't know why that is happening. Maybe it doesn't come with one? lol

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
from what I can tell, the icon looks like that because either A) the icon is in the wrong place, and/or B) the icon is in an archive, which doesn't seem to unpack properly.

handbrake converts .mkv to .m4v just fine. What do you mean by "pull apart"? Do you need to change audio tracks or something?

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
The thing is, I want them all in iTunes. I actually take the time to make sure everything is organized and in its right place. I cant stand having some movies in iTunes, and then some mkv movies, or anime's in some other folder. I want them all to be .m4v so i can stick them on my iPhone should I want to. I have VLC and divx.

Ugh I don't understand why most sites love .mkv I HATE it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Again, handbrake converts .mkv to .m4v just fine. I do it all the time.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
from what I can tell, the icon looks like that because either A) the icon is in the wrong place, and/or B) the icon is in an archive, which doesn't seem to unpack properly.

handbrake converts .mkv to .m4v just fine. What do you mean by "pull apart"? Do you need to change audio tracks or something?
Hippo, I've tried converting .mkv to .m4v and it always ends up out of sync with audio OR sometimes the audio will be horrible, garbled slow etc.

For example. I've just downloaded Cleopatra 1963. Its in .mkv. I want to get it into .m4v so I can put it into iTunes. I've tried to convert it over, and I get the garbled sound, but the picture is fine.

Another example would be Japanese Anime.
Usually, they'll have Japanese audio, with english subs, with the option to use English audio. Converting those over from .mkv to .m4v (for me) doesn't work. Same issue, garbled sound, out of sync.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
ah, then that sounds like you're trying to convert an audio format that handbrake doesn't support (like PCM). Next time you try, go to the audio tab, and in the "Track" column, see what tracks are available. You're probably looking for AC3.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
ah, then that sounds like you're trying to convert an audio format that handbrake doesn't support (like PCM). Next time you try, go to the audio tab, and in the "Track" column, see what tracks are available. You're probably looking for AC3.

?
When I click on the drop down, theres nothing else.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
hm. weird. that should work fine. any other tracks available besides that AAC?

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Right I clicked on Universal.... (seeing as I'd like everything to beable to play on iPhone). Here's the change:

thoughts?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
no, what I mean is if you click on "0: Unknown (AAC) (2.0 ch)" are there any other tracks listed under it? Probably not, from the looks of it.

If you were having this problem from just one video, I'd guess that it's just a bad audio track, but if it's happening with all of your anime stuff, there must be something else going on. I'd recommend posting in the handbrake forums describing exactly what happens with the audio along with one of those screenshots.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Im just gona hit Start and see what happens. Ill let you know when it finishes.

Aside from that, Can you show me or explain to me what you'd do to convert an .mkv to a .m4v? (maybe I'm missing something, or doing something wrong. (This is why I hate .mkv) Because everything else. Handbrake does all my needs just fine.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I personally use the AppleTV2 preset for most things (gets the best A/V quality, and still plays on iPhone 4 and iPad), and rarely have any issues. From what I can tell, that Universal preset should work for you.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Funny enough, It worked just fine, no out of sync or garbled audio and the video quality is perfect (for BR copy)

Thanks Hippo

Now all I need to do is sit back and enjoy this 246min movie lol. Long movie is long.
Im going to try and convert over a Japanese Anime episode from .mkv to .m4v (using Universal preset). I cant say im as hopeful it'll work well, because the Anime .mkvs have Japanese audio and English audio. (you can chose either or, if playing in VLC or Divx).

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you can keep both audio tracks in an .m4v. In that audio page above, you choose one track as japanese, another as english.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Okay so I tried with one of the anime episodes. Its a little weird, but It did work somewhat.
On the first attempt, I wanted to see if I could get both audio (Japanese audio, English audio, and the English subtitles) into the episode, and have it work in iTunes with the option to chose either audio, and on/off the subtitles. (I've done subtitles before, so thats easy (click on subtitles, add external .srt) simple.

Right, so when you first Source the movie, these are the defaults that handbreak will show. (Note: 0: Unknown (AAC) 2.0 Channel is the Japanese Audio only.

We want to have both options of Japanese Audio, and English Audio. So I followed how handbreak defaulted the Japanese Audio codecs

When Handbreak finished, I threw the movie into iTunes with quite an odd result. It does work, You have the option to have the Japanese Audio, OR the English audio, but the option to chose these is the Speech bubble where normally the option to turn subtitles on/off is. The Subtitles don't show because there is no option to toggle them.
hmm... ?

Tried a different approach:

Using Handbrake, find the source, added the anime.mkv in. Clicked on "Universal Preset" and then went to Audio. (Now keeping in mind, This anime, has Japanese Audio, Option to chose English audio, and option to have English subtitles) when playing in Divx or VLC. (Now... because the series was remastered, the Japanese Audio is extremely low volume, and the English audio is normal volume, (and this is one of the few anime where the english audio/dialogue was great. So we'll just settle to have English audio only.

So I assume this way is correct:

Because the English Audio is a second option (in divx) I assume it has to be the 1: Unknown (AAC) (2.0)channel). So I removed the Japanese one (which is 0: Unknown AAC (2.0)channel) and set the English channel audio codec as the core audio. upped the bitrate to 224.

Hopefully this should work as I intend. (which is to have English as the only audio).

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
As I finished writing that post... Handbreak finished.

Threw the First episode into iTunes. It plays PERFECTLY. Not out of sync, no garbled sound... and English audio is the main and only audio.