Anyone notice...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SCMedic

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
The new component AV cable Apple is offering on the site, is listed as working with the iPhone! Video out in the upcoming update?

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Why do you think it needs an update to use this?
Because as of right now, the iPhone does NOT allow video out. You can only watch video on the iPhone itself, you can't connect a cable and watch it on your TV (like you can with a standard video iPod).

However, my concern is that these cables are for the newly announced iPod touch, and NOT the iPhone. If that were true, I'll be bummed, since I use the video out feature on my iPod a lot, and I'd like to use it on my iPhone.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
The Apple site says it's iPhone compatible so worries there.

This is cool and not too expensive at $50. I'd get one to watch movies at someones house.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
However, my concern is that these cables are for the newly announced iPod touch, and NOT the iPhone. If that were true, I'll be bummed, since I use the video out feature on my iPod a lot, and I'd like to use it on my iPhone.
If you read the entire page (like above) you would see this:

It is supported by the iPhone.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The Apple site says it's iPhone compatible so worries there.

This is cool and not too expensive at $50. I'd get one to watch movies at someones house.
Did anyone see this:
"Note: Component video output to television is supported by iPod nano (third generation) and iPod classic at 480p or 576p resolution, and by iPod touch at 480i or 576i resolution."

I'm concerned that it won't really do video-out with an iPhone.

--
Mike

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Did anyone see this:
"Note: Component video output to television is supported by iPod nano (third generation) and iPod classic at 480p or 576p resolution, and by iPod touch at 480i or 576i resolution."

I'm concerned that it won't really do video-out with an iPhone.
I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe it does to video out, or maybe someone used the wrong graphic. ;)

gts

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
From a software stand point, how different would the iThouch video code be from the iPhone video code? If they are nearly or in fact the same, would it not work just fine with the iPhone? It may be in an update but we know that there will be one for the WiFi downloading function so this may be part of that.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Have you used this av cable? How do you know it doesn't do video output with this cable?
Has nothing to do with the cable. iPhone itself does not support video out at this time. Unless there's a pin in that 30-pin connector that works some magic. You'd think there'd be a Setting, though, as in iPods.

So they just turned your iPhone into an iTV?
In a way, but an iTV with <8GB available (versus your entire multimedia library).

-K

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
The one main thing is, on the iPod you have to go to settings, and switch output to TV and also select if you want to have widescreen. I looked on the iPhone after the iTunes 7.4 update in the general settings and could not find any settings to make the output switch.