Anyone record Apple TV output?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 3, 2009
Talking recording to a DVD recorder, DVR or even a VCR....if there are any with HDMI input (or maybe with an adapter).

I am looking to record Netflix stuff. Has anyone been successful and if so, to what device did you record to and did you use any special connections?

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
So what I know and have experienced is this. The hd signal is to digital(if that makes sense) to be recordable through DVD recording devices. I have tried to convert hd signals a million different ways. Even tried to covert them down. I can't figure it out and haven't seen anyway to do it.
Recording Netflix isn't able to be done because of the way they send the data to you. They are to smart for us.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Theoretically the OPs expectation makes sense. The ATV can send an audio/video signal that plays on a TV that should be recordable by a PVR.
I'm guessing then that the cables are bidirectional and the ATV can identify the downstream device to some degree.
Maybe a filter/adapter exists to fake out the ATV?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Theoretically the OPs expectation makes sense. The ATV can send an audio/video signal that plays on a TV that should be recordable by a PVR.
I'm guessing then that the cables are bidirectional and the ATV can identify the downstream device to some degree.

Perhaps. When Netflix first started streaming you were able to snag the signal on your pc and covert it and burn it in regular DVD format. Maybe for the first year you could do this.

Oct 3, 2009

It's usually the downstream device that detects whatever signal is being put out by the upstream device to prevent recording.

I ran into this when I bought a DVD recorder and tried to record things off cable. The DVD recorder wouldn't record about 90% of stuff I tried to record. But it recorded commercials perfectly. :p Called the DVD recorder people and the cable people....both said it was because of an anti-copy signal being sent out on the cable signal.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
It's usually the downstream device that detects whatever signal is being put out by the upstream device to prevent recording.

I ran into this when I bought a DVD recorder and tried to record things off cable. The DVD recorder wouldn't record about 90% of stuff I tried to record. But it recorded commercials perfectly. :p Called the DVD recorder people and the cable people....both said it was because of an anti-copy signal being sent out on the cable signal.
Thanks for the info.

In that case a Chinese or PC based recording solution that hasn't any DRM.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Digital watermarking will prevent a digital copy to be made of copyrighted material. The cheapest method would be to use a television to convert HDMI to something analog (like component video) which you could then record. But the industry is pretty paranoid about direct digital copies, so they do indeed make things tricky.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
I use to record shows that were recorded on my cable DVR box onto a DVD but that was about 5 years ago. I just had the DVD recorded in between my DVR box and my tv don't know if that would still work but it did then.