Anyone still have the first iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by justahsquirrel, Sep 7, 2012.

1. justahsquirrel

Silver

I know the iPhone 5 eeer 6th generation is almost upon us...I remember waiting the 10 or so hours for the first iPhone. Chris M, the forum owner/operator was on the same line as me, althought I was like 70 heads behind and we didn't meet officially. I swore to myself I was not going to do that line waiting again, then the 3G was released...ugh...back on the line...proudly I might say. ...I also went on the line for the 3GS but it was a few days after the official release. Just wanted to share a few tidbits about my iPhone experience. Anyone else want to chime in and tell an interesting iPhone story?

2. Markybod

Markybod New Member

Yeah! I have never done the lining up thing and probably won't for the 5 but I was genuinely excited when I got my 4!
    It was kinda like Christmas that day and still remember that unblocking moment! I had bought my otterbox case weeks before( I am mega clumsy so I needed something industrial strength lol) and I had my clear screen covers ready too!
    Because of that my 4 still looks brand new when "naked"!
    I am proper buzzin about the iPhone 5 coming! Bring it on!

3. SPA3010

SPA3010 New Member

Think my sister in law has one, still holds onto it like she got it yesterday though...

4. justahsquirrel

Silver

The buzz is def. back. I''be been saving my pennies to get this new iPhone. Hope they do a online preorder. That's the only line I want to do

5. black jack 2007

black jack 2007 New Member

I still have one pretty much mint condition :) I have box and all :)

6. aknightstale41

Gold

I had the first iPhone for a couple years after I first bought it, then sold it to get the new model... regretted selling it for some time... I'm pretty excited about the new iPhone coming out, but what has tempered some of that excitement is the fact that the screen doesn't appear to be wider, just longer... was hoping for bigger dimensions all the way around... I still might pick it up though.

7. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Do they (iP1) even work?

8. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I still have mine (V1, 4gig) in my drawer. I used it for my kids for a while for games and such until we got iPads. Now they don't want to play with it anymore and it's lonely. (I wonder if it feels like Woody from Toy Story, just wanting a new home...).

Anywho, I've sold all my other phones to upgrades to new ones, but have never gotten the urge to sell my "first" iPhone. It feels sacred to me somehow. It still works and looks great, albeit only running iOS 3.1.4 (I think). Plus, even if I did sell it, it wouldn't be worth much now. Maybe someday it will be worth something.

9. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

I just bought one off eBay in near-perfect condition to be a nice trophy on my shelf. Not bad, it was only $99 too.

10. Muckcityjustin

Gold

I've still got mine and it's even in pretty good shape after some abuse from my daughter using it for car rides. Hard to believe I got it on iDay so long ago. Every now and again I will use it as an ipod.

11. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I have an 8GB V1 in excellent shape. It currently lives in my daughter's bedroom in a small boombox playing gentle ambient sound effects nearly 24/7.

I keep it around as a backup phone in case something happens to mine or the wife's iPhone 4 (I made a microsim adapter). I tried installing 5.x Whitd00r but it is way too kludgey for my tastes, so it lives at 3.1.3. Not many apps still work with that OS, so its usability is becoming an issue. But I won't ever ditch it... we're only selling one of our iP4s to offset the cost of 2 new 32GB iPhones in the coming weeks, so I'll have a more modern backup around.

12. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I love my v1 iPhone, I use it as a remote for my ATV2 and iTunes Remote on my server (which is connected to my stereo setup).

13. justahsquirrel

Silver

Nice. I have a broken iPhone first gen. It was working the all of a sudden it blanked out and never turned back on. Mother board is probably shot. Too much trouble to fix. Might just keep it for sentimental reasons.

14. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

I joined the forums the day I bought my iPhone v1 16GB in March 2008 I believe. It is sitting in the original box now that my iPhone 4 replaced it. I'm thinking about upgrading to the 2012 iPhone, but there's nothing compared to upgrading from a nokia brick phone (with snake on it) to the original iPhone.

15. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

I can remember that beautiful day just like it was yesterday. Walked in with a fist full of cash (707 dollars to be exact) and walking out with a box with an awesome prize inside. I open the box and turn it on... The iPhone was not activated. I had to drive an hour to my parents house to plug it into a computer to activate it. I did not have my own personal computer at this time. I got there all excited to get this baby going. I opened the box and pulled out the shiny silver gadget out. The phone slipped into the charging port perfectly. BOOM... It starts to sync to the computer. My eyes get so wide in amazement. I filled out all the require BS to activate it and feel my legs cramping up from the excitement running through my body. The phone starts to activate... 8) 15 mins go by... Woo hoo it's getting close... 30 mins go by... Oh man it has to be almost done... 1 hour... Man hurry the H up! Probably 2 hours later it finally finished and I can now use my new 700 dollar phone! It was such a badA phone! I was the coolest guy on the block for being one of the first in town to have the iPhone. I have had an iPhone ever since and something will have to come along pretty amazing to make me change that.

Attached Files:

16. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot
    Gold

Definitely still have mine. I was first in line at one of the two Cingular/AT&T stores in my town. Got there at 5:30AM and endured 11.5 hours of intense heat and humidity to guarantee that I would get one of the 50 iPhones that each store was allotted. I also paid $600 for an 8GB version in those days of without carrier subsidies.

17. Lisacj

Lisacj Member
    Bronze

Do any of you have a pic of it? I would love to see one!

I remember watching the news with my ex husband and laughing at all those "fools" camping out overnight for a cell phone.

But then I got to try one.............

Have a nice day!
    Love,
    l

18. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Yeah, I was a big naysayer of the iPhone... was talking all my friends out of it at the time.

"My $50 Windows phone can do everything an iPhone can do and more!" I was fond of touting. I wasn't technically wrong. At the time, the iPhone was a pretty limited platform and the ecosystem was nonexistent. But after going with a friend to buy one, I came home and played with it then went back about 45 minutes later and bought one myself.

19. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

I was late to the game. I thought that the Palm Treo was the best thing going. Until the 800W I was pretty happy though. That phone finally pushed me over to the dark side (iPhone 3G and 4) and I haven't looked back. Looking forward to the "5" or whatever the finally name is!

20. justahsquirrel

Silver

Let's see what the day brings.