Anyone suprized by charge time?

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
So i'd been using my phone all day and i finally gave it some downtime to charge only to be called by my friends saying lets go to a movie in 35min. 35min later the phone is fully charged from a 10% warning man thats quick!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'd have to google this and can't be arsed at the moment, but I believe larger-capacity batteries charge faster because they draw more current from the charging circuit. I know the 3G has a beefier battery than the 1400? mAh battery in the V1.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I'd have to google this and can't be arsed at the moment, but I believe larger-capacity batteries charge faster because they draw more current from the charging circuit. I know the 3G has a beefier battery than the 1400? mAh battery in the V1.
Seriously, Dave, is there anything you don't know? The volume and breadth of your knowledge never fail to impress me.

Saint

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
NJ & NYC
Yes, the phone charges faster but the battery also depletes faster than the first gen.

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
I find it deceiving , it charges fast as hell when plugged into my Macbook, but I feel it doesn't last long. If I do a full charge plugged into wall, it lasts a lot longer, maybe in my head!

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Yes, the phone charges faster but the battery also depletes faster than the first gen.

Saint really lets be honest... Take into account ALL the things this phone can do (rendering sites, youtube, websites music/video/podcast/slidshow, email, photos on such a huge screen, texting, the phone calls the GPS etc etc etc etc.

Now think of all those things on a regular phone battery such as a razor, Samsung etc, or your regular standard cellphone and see if itll last as long as the iPhone can performing such demanding tasks. For the amount of power it takes to run this phone and do all the things we are starting to deem necessary or "the standard" i think the battery life is an astonishment.

I hate it when ppl complain about the battery life on the iPhone 3g. Think about all the things it can do and does so well then you'll look at it in a better light.:cool: Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes just telling the truth.

Anyway its been fine so far, it charged super fast and im still at a full charge posting from my phone and texting now :D

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The iPhone definitely bucked the standard screensize:batterylife ratio. For the size and brightness of that sucker, we should all drop down and thank our respective deities for the battery life we get with these phones.

Throw in the constant data suck on Edge and Wifi and you're holding a minor miracle with today's available battery technology.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
and i thought my v1 charges fast
it seems like its about an hour to charge from 20% which is better than my old phones
they usually took about 2 hours

Saint

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
NJ & NYC
Hey London, I never said the battery life sucked. I never complained about it as I love my phone and never had the battery die on me yet. All I put out there was the fact that the first gen phone battery lasted a bit longer. Not bashing the iPhones battery life, just pointing out a another change between the 2 gens.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
oh that's fine forgive me I'm still a bit caught up on the people who nit pick the phone when fact remains it raised the bar and set the standard of phones for the future... Not saying u nit pick.
Off topic: I think the 1 thing u hate about the iPhone thread is pointless because if Apple made a perfect product then then next product they introduce won't sell so well.

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
maybe next gen iPhone will have a silver-zinc battery setup. I know they started recently using them in laptops.

cococawaii

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
I'm also surprised at how quickly my phone charges. I tend to use it a LOT, and at the end of the day when the battery is running low I can charge it almost to full capacity on the car ride home (30 minutes--car charger).

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
maybe next gen iPhone will have a silver-zinc battery setup. I know they started recently using them in laptops.
Two technologies that are rapidly progressing that will REALLY affect the next few generations of all mobile phones, i- or otherwise:

1. Solid State storage density and
2. New battery technologies

In the next few years we should hopefully start seeing some pretty big strides in both fields.

nfl46

Mar 5, 2008
Yes, mines charges really quick too. But the battery sure does die quickly, lol.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Two technologies that are rapidly progressing that will REALLY affect the next few generations of all mobile phones, i- or otherwise:

1. Solid State storage density and
2. New battery technologies

In the next few years we should hopefully start seeing some pretty big strides in both fields.
Pretty much what you said, and advancments in mobile TV, and smaller radiation givin off.
Besides that, yes lithium ion is obsolite.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's gonna be great. Limited storage and battery life are pretty much the two biggest gripes to mobile computing (other than internet speed and interface issues). Make them non-issues, and we can really start focusing on our pockets as robust computing platforms (we're almost there as it is)

Another exciting technology that is seeing HUGE advances lately is solar. I read recently that $400 mil was invested in new thin-film solar tech in just one week and they're predicting it will be a $22 billion industry by 2015. I wouldn't be surprised to see phones made out of inconspicuous solar panels that will keep you nicely juiced just by putting it on your dash on your ride to work. The energy is there for the taking, and we're finally getting the technology to the efficiency/price point that it needs to be to really take off.

Exciting times we live in, for real...

dieburnbot

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
As far as I know the iPhone rapidly charges to about 80% capacity and then switches to a trickle charge to get the last 20% and the total time for a full charge should be about 2 hours. That is probably why the charge lasts longer if you leave your phone plugged in longer.