Anyone Syncing with Thunderbird or Zimbra?

Aug 2, 2009
I need to get off MS Outlook. I hate it. But it seems the only way to sync contacts and events with the iPhone is through Google. But Google won't read my e-mail from my other accounts via IMAP, only POP3. So I need to use another client in conjunction with Google Calendar, such as Thunderbird or Zimbra. I'm trying Thunderbird with Lightning right now and love it. WAY faster and more reliable than Outlook for IMAP e-mail. I don't want to spend a bunch of time setting it up with Google Calendar to synch with iPhone if there's a better solution though.

What are iPhone users using outside of Outlook and Google that they are successfuly syncing contacts and events with?

Aug 2, 2009
I got everything working with Thunderbird by using the Provider for Google Calendar to sync the calendar with Google and Zindus to sync my contacts with Google. Then I use the iPhones naitive ability to sync calendar and contacts over the air with Google. Seems to work good and it is free.

What I don't get is why iTunes just doesn't have the ability to sync with Thunderbird or Zimbra like it does with Outlook. Apple is a competitor of Microsoft. It would seem to me since Apple is obviously favoring Google with Google Maps on iPhone, ability to sync with Google Calendar and Contacts (Google Contacts is an option in iTunes by the way), etc, I would expect they would have at least supported Mozilla apps such as Thunderbird. Just doesn't make sense to me.

By the way Thunderbird is WAY better than Outlook. No more problems connecting to IMAP and WAY faster - no more multi-second freeze and pauses going from message to message. Hurray!