Anyone tried third party app "iLight" yet?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Check it out, it's a good laugh. I can't in my right mind think of a more simple program than this... just a pure white screen. I think they spent more time making the icon than the actual program.

Needlesstosay, it does exactly what it should do - shine white light.

JeffBobula

Bronze
Apr 20, 2007
Madison, Wisconsin
On the 4th of July my buddies and I were on the Malibu coast and he used his Motorola Q Flash from his camera for a light when it got dark out after the fireworks.

I had my iPhone for what, 5 days? And it didn't have something similar. I was pretty jealous.

So I just got the iLight today too...and love it!

It works :cool:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I've had stuff like this on my pocketPC for years and never realized how much I took it for granted until I got my iPhone.

Welp, those days are over. I use iLight to find my way to the bed at night so I don't wake the lady friend. Beats leaving the TV on mute like I used to do.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Btw, I tried I light, and to be honest, it's nothing special. You can get pretty much the same effect by turning up the brightness of the display. You just have to remember to turn it back down when you're done, or it will suck your battery dry.
But then again the iLight will suck the batt dry too depending on use.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Btw, I tried I light, and to be honest, it's nothing special. You can get pretty much the same effect by turning up the brightness of the display. You just have to remember to turn it back down when you're done, or it will suck your battery dry.
But then again the iLight will suck the batt dry too depending on use.
I just use it to see quickly in the dark--not going to bother adjusting the display in those situations. OTOH, I don't notice much difference between iLight and using the Mail app (which I used previously). Maybe a hair brighter, and not delays while the iPhone checks mail.

I am still keeping iLight though, mainly to see if it gets updated to turn the backlight up all of the way when launched, and the return it to its prior state when exited. That would be nice!

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Anyone else having iLight dim the screen on them if you let it sit there idle? I was using it as a flashlight with the screen away from me, and it went dim after the phone went into an idle state.

After seeing someone else post a link here to an online version I think I'll make my own with a page timeout refresh to keep the iPhone from going idle. I think I'll add a color button for red light as well. I prefer red lights for illumination when doing trivial tasks at night. Its a lot easier on the eyes, especially if you've just woken up. Wrap this up with an iPhone Apper link on the springboard and I'll be gtg.

If I get something noteworthy going, I'll post my html file.

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah, I added iLight. I had my tech-savvy co-worker place Installer on it, so I could easily install, update and/or delete apps. It's pretty cool. Well, Installer is. iLight is kinda silly. But the icon is cool.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Alright, I ended up making my own "Light" program, except mine is a Web App (which is being very generous).

Basically mine addresses the issues I have with iLight, in that the screen dims if the iPhone goes idle which defeats the purpose of the light, and that there's only one brightness level.

My cheapo version is called iLit, lol.

You can download the web app widget in the attachment. Just chmod +755 to "embark" and you're all set.

Alternately, you can bookmark this url:

http://www.dezign999.com/ilit/

Attachments