Anyone use original 3G holder or silicone skin for applying Invisibleshield?

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I want to put on a shield but had such a hard time with another company's similar product that i want to be sure I do it right this time.

The problem I had was with the corners. I tried using the cup method and just pinching the corners, but nothing worked.

So I am wondering if anyone has had any success getting the corners to stay down with something like the silicone skin since it is molded to pretty much the exact shape of the phone and it's corners.

The other idea I had was to try the phone holder that came with the iPhone's box. You know, the plastic bed the phone sat on when you opened your box? This seems to be the perfect tool to let the corners and the plastic sit together and mold together.

So if you have had any success or try either of these methods, please post results.

Thanks.

Steve T.

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have the same problem. I love my invisible shield, i used it through the entire time I had my v1, and I got one as soon as I got my 3g, but those corners are a pain. I used the cup method, and a hair dryer to dry them free of any of the solution that I sprayed on and I thought it was okay, till the next morning... I had two small spaces on the top two corners that came up, and wouldn't go back down. I tried putting on an incase protective cover for a day, thinking it would help due to the tightness of the case, but when i took it off, one of the corners came with it. So, what I did, and I think it works pretty well, is i cut off the top two corners and used some of the excess material that came with the shield to cut new ones. I worked perfect. You cant even tell that they don't belong in the first place. But you have to use the Invisible Shield. The body guardz skins don't come with excess material, and there are more corner pieces to come up. They are also not made with as quality a material, in my opinoin. Hope this helps!

cabinets

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Atlanta Ga
Have you tried BSE? They can be difficult, but if you are very, very patient, the corners will stay down perfectly. Good idea on using the original phone holder. I may try that next time I apply it.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I applied a BSE to 2 phones, using a jewelers magnifying lens to make sure I had it centered and had the holes over the buttons correctly. It takes some time (about 30-40 minutes) but they came out perfect. The best way is to position it on the back, and fold the sides down so the buttons, speaker/mic, and docking connect go over the holes in the skin. Then just keep folding the sides down with gentle pressure until the water dries, working around the corners. As the water dries, the adhesive will let the skin stick to the phone.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I ordered three of the Invisible Shields and after my attempt at putting it on I gave up. Using their water solution really messed me up. I ruined the front! Imagine it, that is supposd to be the easiest one to put on. I am used to clearprotectors so i just got one of them full body coverage yesterday and it was a sinch to put on. I use clearprotector on all my phones and this was even easier because you can line everything up by using the designated holes. I always have air bubbles,but those will smooth out in a few days. Oh, and clearprotector doesn't even bother with corners and i can't blame them. I kinda like it like that.

They suggest using the water/soapy water method, but I never do. I always just put it on and let it smooth out over night and any air bubbles smooth out on their own within a few days and then it's perfect.

I have two Invisible shield protectors that i have to either return or sell. but either way, I don't want or need them anymore.

Aug 9, 2007
Use a wide rubber band. After you've gotten the corners to stick in place somewhat, stretch the rubber band around the chrome bezel of the iPhone. (It's a bit tricky, but doable). Be sure the corners haven't shifted, then leave the rubber band overnight.
In the morning, you'll have smooth corners.