Anyone use the Griffin RoadTrip?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jedibugs

Jul 26, 2007
Has anyone used one of the Griffin RoadTrip FM Transmitter/Chargers with the iPhone? I'm hoping it'll work, but I don't want to gamble $90 on it.

Thanks!

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
My buddy has one of those for his iPod and the first morning i had the phone i tried to plug it in and the iPhone informed me that this type of hardware is not supported by the phone. I was kinda disappointed because i could use it with everyone else's iPod transmitters but its a no go.

jedibugs

Jul 26, 2007
From what I understand, that error quite often pops up on things that will, in fact, work with the iPhone, you just have to click through the error. Did you try it or just abort when you got the error?

My buddy has one of those for his iPod and the first morning i had the phone i tried to plug it in and the iPhone informed me that this type of hardware is not supported by the phone. I was kinda disappointed because i could use it with everyone else's iPod transmitters but its a no go.

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Well my buddie who's roadtrip i was using was in a bad a mood because we were late going to the lake and he was hot as all hell which is a very bad combination for him so he pretty much told me he was going to throw it out the window if i didn't get out of the way. Ill have to try again when he isn't so jealous of my iPhone.

Draven

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
I just bought a roadtrip specifically for my iPhone about three days ago. So far it has been working just fine. However, something interesting has occurred. I work at Best Buy and sold another iPhone user a roadtrip. We couldn't FET his to work. Everything about our two phones was the same, except for one thing: the OS version. He hadn't tipdsted his phone with the new patch yet. This is the only thing I could think of that was wrong. Hopefully an update will make it work properly.

One question, what is the Sound Check option in the iPod settings? With it on it makes the FM transmitter volume super low. Naturally I have it off so as not to have this problem, just wondering what its real function is.

TomTomTuning

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Camp Hill, PA
I had gotten the Macally FMcup first and due to the buzz, i took it back

I then got a Griffin Itrip Auto
Site: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripauto/

Price: 55.00

It did not work, it only charged the phone.
And did not recognize the device.

So i took that back, and got the Belkin TuneFM'

Site:http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=257339
Price: 50.00

It work's, but there is some buzz. Not as much as the FMcup.

When connected to the iPhone, it comes up and displays "iPod Accessory"
But does not allow you to change the options, or even see them.

You have to search your channels until you find the one that its playing on. Since it normally displays the channel on the iPod.
(and it doesn't work on the iPhone)

And if the preset channel isn't the best quality, you make the changes on the device, then you have to search for the channel again.

I will keep this one, until i can find a better one.
Or i get a new head unit. And hope it works for the iPhone.

I plan on taking that back and trying the DLO Transdock Micro
Which was recommend by a fellow member.

So far the FMCup worked the best, If you turned on Airport

I think the Transdock should work well.

Last edited by a moderator:

jedibugs

Jul 26, 2007
Draven:
The beginning of this article ( http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/10570/ ) explains sound check. It's a great feature when utilized properly.

But your RoadTrip works well? How's the buzz? And how well does the iPhone fit in it?

Thanks for the heads-up!

P.S. (you type that entry on your iPhone, didn't you?)

I just bought a roadtrip specifically for my iPhone about three days ago. So far it has been working just fine. However, something interesting has occurred. I work at Best Buy and sold another iPhone user a roadtrip. We couldn't FET his to work. Everything about our two phones was the same, except for one thing: the OS version. He hadn't tipdsted his phone with the new patch yet. This is the only thing I could think of that was wrong. Hopefully an update will make it work properly.

One question, what is the Sound Check option in the iPod settings? With it on it makes the FM transmitter volume super low. Naturally I have it off so as not to have this problem, just wondering what its real function is.

Draven

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Lol, I certainly did use my iPhone for that post. Namely, the "FET" was supposed to be "get", hehe.

Anyway, the RoadTrip works pretty well. My main issue is, being that I also have a Sirius Satellite Radio, I had to also get a powerpoint splitter so I could plug both the satellite and the RoadTrip in at the same time. This causes the Roadtrip to move around a little more than it normally would which can affect the FM signal and cause static. Luckily it's not been too bad for me, and a quick readjustment is all I need to make it sound pretty decent again. A lot of the time the static is so low that it's almost imperceptible, so it's pretty nice.

The only problem from using an iPhone in the device seems to be issues with the LED indicator that the Roadtrip has. When the phone isn't docked in, the LED is a normal green. Docking the iPhone makes the LED change to red. However, the LED sometimes switched back to green even with the iPhone docked, and other times it's flickering back and forth between red and green. But everything seems to work fine even with this, and the phone still charges and all.

The iPhone is a little loose using the standard Video iPod holster that came with the RoadTrip, but it also has these little stick-on felt pads to help tighten things up, so I'm not finding the slight looseness to be too much of an issue.

**EDIT: Also reading the iLounge article alerted me to the fact that Shure put out an adaptor for the iPhone for my Shure SE210s, which makes me EXTREMELY happy, haha.

billchase2

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
i'm borrowing my friend's roadtrip right now to try out and i'm having mixed impressions. when i first plugged it in, it was working great. however, sometimes i get that loud annoying buzz noise. it kind of comes and goes.

does anyone know how to fix this besides turning on airplane mode?