Anyone use this iPad keyboard case from China?

Discussion in 'iPad Cases and Accessories' started by Mommy, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Hi, been looking around for a keyboard for my ipad2 and this looks pretty cool. I wanted to know if anyone has used this or knows anyone who has, I would like to get it, but just want to make sure it's good... It worries me that it's from hong kong.... Thank you! ImageUploadedByiCafe1325965784.163524.jpg

2. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Ok guess not.....

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

3. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

sorry not ignoring you :) but no I do not use it. I have always been curious on how well they work but would just not fund a use for it since i find it easy enough to just type right on the screen. But looks pretty cool

4. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

it's ok I understand :) I have been thinking about it, but yet CES is supposed to show case awesome iPad stuff and some keyboards.. I think I'll wait lol.
    I've been searching online and a lot of people tend to say the iPad doesn't need a keyboard, if people wanted it, they would get a MBA.. I'm torn, always have good ideas, then another one comes along LOL.

5. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I can't speak for this particular keyboard, but using a Bluetooth keyboard on an iPad is pretty neat. I do it every now and then when I'm going to do a lot of typing. I just use an Apple Bluetooth keyboard, most of the function buttons work, like volume, brightness, play/pause.

And to answer the all-important "just get a MacBook Air" question.... been there, done that. They are two different experiences. The iPad is not a substitute for everything a MacBook Air can do, but the MacBook Air is not a substitute for everything an iPad can do, either. There is a focus factor on the iPad. You're only running one app at a time (give or take an audio stream or voip call). So, you can concentrate on whatever you're typing. That, and the keyboard isn't permanently attached, so when you're done with typing, you can just chuck the keyboard out and get back to the essentials. If you try to remove the keyboard from a MacBook Air...well...yeah.

6. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

wow thank you! What one is better in your opinion? I have the iPad 2, wouldn't mind having a keyboard; but I have heard people say MBA is better than iPad... I kind of want one, but if there the same just without a keyboard, then why should I get one? I think I am just looking for someone to tell me pro's and cons of each. Can you give me a little insight please? If that's the case, then I'll sell the iPad. Thank you

7. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

They are definitely not the same. If an iPad came with a permanently attached keyboard, it'd still be a different experience because of the way the software is designed.

This is how the pros and cons came out for me, but I'm probably not in the majority with my thinking:

MacBook Air:
    + More powerful & versatile processor (could run just about anything made for Mac OS X or Windows) and still light.
    + Great multitasker
    - Because it is a great multitasker, it's also easy to get distracted
    - Because of the wide variety of heavy duty stuff written for computers, you can bring a MBA to its knees and have a sub-par experience with an app or game (because it was designed for even more powerful hardware, or because a setting is wrong, etc.).
    - Not as mobile as a tablet (doesn't quite go as many places as easily)
    - Partly because the keyboard is always there even if I'm just surfing or watching videos, taking up table/desk space.

iPad:
    + Interface designed for touch & ease of use. Mostly.
    + App-happy, so it can still do a LOT of stuff even with less powerful hardware.
    + Consistent hardware means all the apps & games work to their fullest potential, can be designed for optimal performance for everyone out of the box.
    + Can attach a couple of accessories like the Bluetooth keyboard to crank out some serious typing on demand.
    - But those accessories are separate "luggables" that add to the baggage.
    - The lack of a jailbreak hurts the versatility.

So, those are just a few of the pros and cons that I can think of right off the bat for me. Ultimately, the iPad "works" better for me (if you can call it that even though I'm not much of a productivity worker), but this may not apply to you.

A lot of it for me boils down to interface. I like Mac OS X's interface a lot and I use it well on my 27" iMac. But for what I ended up usually doing on my MBA, compared to my iPad, it was like trying to flip a light switch with a Rube Goldberg machine. Technically, it got the job done, but with a lot of unnecessary (although neat) complexity in the process.

I like the way that the iPad streamlines a lot of things so you don't have to do as many actions or have as many distractions. When I want to browse, I just click home and go to Safari, and then I'm just browsing. Don't need to resize my window cause it started up as that little square again, don't have to close all my tabs cause the browser is eating up a bunch of memory, I just browse and don't have to think so much.

When I'm ready to watch a movie or a TV show, I click home and go to Netflix or ABC or whatever. Usually pops up a link to the last thing I was watching, I resume where I left off, and that's it. No plugins to have to fix because they break in certain browsers once certain stuff is done to it, no having this and that pop up and take me out of full screen mode. No interruptions. Mostly.

When I want to play a game, I just click home and open the game and I'm playing the game. No having to find the right resolution and turn this and that setting down, because my iPad 2 is pretty much the same as every other iPad 2. Meaning the developers know exactly what it can handle and they program it to that spec. And multiplayer even usually works (depending on if the game developer did it right). So much more like a console where you just turn it on and play. Way better than a computer where you plug, tweak, click and clack, google to find a solution to this error dialog that means you have to go edit an INI file to tell it not to use this feature that you can't do on the crappy graphics on a MBA, etc.

And cranking out text, like in a big post or an email. Sure, I can do it ok on the on screen keyboard. But if I know I'm going to be writing a lot, like say a post that's longer than this one (which I'm actually typing on the iPhone right now, no Bluetooth keyboard or anything), I'll break out my keyboard if I happen to have it. Then whatever I happen to be typing is the only thing happening. I don't have a bunch of other windows open distracting me from the writing (otherwise my eyes drift over to things in the background easily). When doing this at home, I usually don't have to worry about an errant paw clicking the mouse/trackpad or the wrong key and undoing everything like I get sometimes with my Mac. With the touchscreen I can easily pan around my novel-like posts just like I would a Google map and quickly drill into something I want to change. With the traditional computer, there is a disconnect between me and what I type, and it's not the same. I know I'm getting a little deep & stepping ever so close to the creepy line, but it is just the only way I can really describe it. There's something different about doing my typing on an iPad/iPhone than doing it on a computer that draws me to it. Even if I am typing from a Bluetooth keyboard.

So, for me, that's 4 things that I can do easier/better on an iPad (sometimes iPhone) than a MacBook Air. Browsing, movies/shows, games, and writing stuff like novels to post to eiC ;). Of course, as an iPad 2 user, you know I'm greatly oversimplifying the interactions, because there are more actions than just a click and a tap to get to everything (I usually have to close and open a folder or swipe a page and whatnot). And there are the little quirks and inconsistencies that drive me nuts (why the ell does Find My Friends look like a leather...board game?!). But it really feels like these few basic things I do on the iPad are so well-refined and condensed down to a good core experience compared to Mac OS X that I finally decided to leave my MacBook Air for my iPad 2. Having used both primarily for the same things, I came to the conclusion that I wasn't using the MBA right, and was fine with just the iPad that stays with me and a Big Mac that stays at home.

If I ever felt that a keyboard would be an essential addition to everything I did, then I might have stayed with the MacBook Air. If I were an avid mobile multitasker and liked to have more than one thing on the screen at once, or a bunch of stuff popping out at me to steal a piece of my attention, then by all means, a Mac is great at that (and I do take full advantage of the great multitasking/window management on my iMac at home where I have plenty of space). But the screen size of the MacBook Air limits how many useful things I can put on it, making me more prone to maximizing each window (which I feel an iPad is far better at because it was designed that way).

Your mileage will vary of course (especially if you don't do any of the same things with your iPad as I do). And I am sure someone with a MBA and an iPad 2 will chime in and relate a completely different experience that crowns the MBA the king between the two. And, most definitely, when I become a student again, the scales may tip back toward the MBA. But until then, my preference is for iPad 2.

8. jerni

jerni Member
    Bronze

The purpose of the iPad is to not be carrying around a laptop, right? iPad doesn't replace a Macbook/laptop at all.

As a student and in the medical field I use my iPad everyday (and I also have to maintain #1 on my bejeweled leader board). I've been wondering the same question about keyboard cases. I don't think I want a keyboard case anymore, I think I will just get the regular bluetooth keyboard. I've on recently needed the keyboard since installing Pages and Keynote on my iPad.

Anyway a lot of the keyboard cases I've seen on the market have been crap(cheaply made, either too flimsy or too bulky

9. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

wow I thank you so much for the explanation. You definitely put things into perspective for me. I had never known all those aspects and problems with a MBA, no one has ever said anything. I kind of thought the windows were small, the way you described it, I know I would be so aggravated having to make them bigger all the time. My windows comp always has the windows big, I never have to mess with it. You have definitely made me want to keep my iPad and not jump into the MBA! Thank you do much for your very helpful response.

10. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

To be fair to the MBA, most of these things I pointed out are just little minor things. I'm not saying the MBA is problematic by any means. It's a great little computer. It's just a necessary part of the interface to have to manage windows and move things out of the way or into the way, or figure out how to make the text size big enough to read without messing up the rest of the page. Most windows will respect the last size that you set them to (the browsers are a special case for some reason). But for the few things I did with it, I felt I shouldn't need to worry about any of that in the first place. All of those little things added up and far outweighed the little things that bug me about the iPad.

The strange thing is that I love to tinker around with my PC. It's fun for me to take it apart and rebuild it, put a better graphics card into it, or overclock it to make games smoother or purdier... so my attraction to the simplified "here's how you do this or that, and there's no other way, and it'll make your life easier" iPad way puzzles me. It goes against everything I grew up on, being able to customize every aspect of my PC and have complete control. Perhaps because every now and then I just want to get away from the whole hack and tweak and build mindset. Sometimes I just want to do something without having to worry about doing extra stuff to get it to work right.

11. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

In regards to the original post, those are cheap knock-off's of Logitech's iPad 2 keyboard case. I've used two different knock-offs, and, while both worked, they had issues in terms of quality and key size. The keys were basically small, and the iPad 2 wouldn't lay face-down into the "case" and stay there like it should. I actually caved in and bought the real deal from Best Buy last week, and LOVE it. It's a joy to type on and the function keys in the top-row are really convenient to have.

12. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Really, thanks for the info. I'll look tomorrow.