Anyone using BeyondTV software?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Clayfree

Jul 3, 2007
I use to use BeyondTv, I now use Sage. I got the same e-mail and it looks really interesting. I love the podcast feature. Please report back with you results.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I downloaded it last night and recorded a couple of Tv shows on my PC.
I'll try adding them to my iPhone when I get home tonight. It's pretty cool how it has options to automatically convert/compress the show to the correct format and add it to iTunes (as a podcast).

The tutorial on how it works is here:
http://blogs.snapstream.com/2007/09/27/beyond-tv-hearts-itunes-and-iphone/
Am I correct in saying that you would need a video capture card in your PC for this? Im looking for some way to stream movies or TV shows to my phone but nothing seems to cut the mustard.
I tried Orb but can only get music to work, not movies.

Would there be any way for me to get the shows off of my DVR onto my PC to use with iPodifier or Beyondtv.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I've used BTV for years now. I'm a beta tester, and am not sure at the moment what the general release version is, but the latest betas have had native iPhone/iPod support--straight to iTunes. Pretty cool. This showed up in August, so it's still a new feature. Thought they were gonna charge extra for the plugin.

Nice thing about BTV is that it is pretty easy to setup.

--
Mike

Crash Override

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
Am I correct in saying that you would need a video capture card in your PC for this? Im looking for some way to stream movies or TV shows to my phone but nothing seems to cut the mustard.
I tried Orb but can only get music to work, not movies.

Would there be any way for me to get the shows off of my DVR onto my PC to use with iPodifier or Beyondtv.
Yes, you'd need a TV capture card. I don't know of any way to move the shows from your DVR to PC. Depends on what type of DVR you have, i'd think.

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
I looked into BTV a couple of times but I still like MCE better. Besides, I'd have to get another IR Blaster as it doesn't work easily the MCE blaster.

In my view Media Center 2005 (and Vista I suppose don't know) is the best PVR app out there. THAT DAMN DVR-MS format! No option to record to other formats.

As far as functionality it works great, it's never missed a recording and thye guide is always up to date. MS did this one right. I extend it through the home network with my kids XBox 360 when I want it in the living room... perfect.

HINT for PVR Software people....

Buy a $70 Sima "Video Enhancer" and place it inline between your cable/satellite box output and your video capture card. It will strip macrovision copy protections so you can edit and burn anything you record. Works like a charm.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I looked into BTV a couple of times but I still like MCE better. Besides, I'd have to get another IR Blaster as it doesn't work easily the MCE blaster.

In my view Media Center 2005 (and Vista I suppose don't know) is the best PVR app out there. THAT DAMN DVR-MS format! No option to record to other formats.
You just illustrated why MCE is not the best: proprietary format, not to mention recording restrictions (it's great being told by your PVR software that you are not allowed to record a certain show).

I have BTV running on a dedicated HTPC, plus BTV link on all PCs, and most of those PCs run either MCE 2005 or Vista Home Premium or Ultimate (both with MCE functionality).

BTV also lets me use other PCs as, in MS's terms, "Media Extenders" (BTV Link). So I can sit outside on my patio with my laptop and watch live TV--or any of my recorded shows--with the same look-and-feel as the BTV server machine. I don't need an XBox to do this.

Then there is the direct-to-DVD, the new direct-to-itunes plugin, and much much more. Oh, and BTV gives you a free account to access your TV listings on-the-go. Naturally you can record from this account too (I have used this many times). I can almost replicate that with MCE and Orb, but I find the listings served by Orb are often incomplete. I also have certain keywords registered with BTV and I am notified if any upcoming shows contain that keyword (e.g., "iPhone").

So, again, IMO BTV is better than MCE--even though I have MCE functionality on every PC I own.

--
Mike

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
You just illustrated why MCE is not the best: proprietary format, not to mention recording restrictions (it's great being told by your PVR software that you are not allowed to record a certain show).

-
Mike
It doesn't stop you from recording, just from burning. That's easily handled with the Sima video enhancer put in line.

BTW, the protection I'm talking about comes across embedded in the signal so the PVR software has nothting to do with it... kinda.

I agree though BTV looks pretty darn sweet.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It doesn't stop you from recording, just from burning. That's easily handled with the Sima video enhancer put in line.

BTW, the protection I'm talking about comes across embedded in the signal so the PVR software has nothting to do with it... kinda.
Small correction: the PVR software has almost everything to do with it since they are the ones who recognize and abide by the flag. The flag by itself is benign.

MS chose to cave in and abide by the (CGMS-A) flag. BTV, and other PVR solutions, do not. Ergo I don't need anything to remove the flag before it gets to BTV.

BTW: CGMS-A can most certainly be used to prevent recording, not just burning to DVD, of a program. And if MCE encounters a program flagged as such it will not record it. Yes it can be used to prevent archival copies, but that is not all it is designed to do. (This is not the same, obviously, as the broadcast flag on digital broadcasts.)

--
Mike

Crash Override

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
Well, I recorded an old ep of "the Wonder Years" as my first test of the beyondtv software. I added it to my iPhone last night and was pleased with the result. not as vibrant as a new show downloaded off iTunes, but very watchable. I've just got a pair of old rabbit ears plugged into my Tv-tuner card right now, so once I split the satellite feed into the PC, image quality should be a little better.
The only issue I had was when I synced. The file showed up in iTunes under both Podcasts and TV shows. I checked the box in TV shows and synced, but got nothing on my iPhone. I added a checkbox to the listing under Podcasts and resynced, which resulted in the show appearing twice on my iPhone. not a big deal, just learning how to use the software correctly.
I even set up a recording remotely from work for 30 Rock, which was pretty cool. I'll keep testing, but so far i'm pretty pleased.
Iupgraded my PC from windows MCE to vista ultimate, so I'm pretty versed in the Windows Media Center way of doing things. It's just nice to have an all-in-one solution in BeyondTV that will schedule, record, convert, and sync to iTunes, so all I have to do is add the shows to my iPhone.

Hey tinman, you seem pretty up-to-speed on this software. I can't seem to remember where the setting is located to have BeyondTV automatically delete the source file after it's converted it for iTunes. :laugh2:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hey tinman, you seem pretty up-to-speed on this software. I can't seem to remember where the setting is located to have BeyondTV automatically delete the source file after it's converted it for iTunes. :laugh2:
You can change a wealth of settings like that by going to this link on your BTV server:
http://localhost:8129/default.aspx

(Replace localhost with the local IP of your BTV server to access that same page from another PC.)

--
Mike

Crash Override

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
You can change a wealth of settings like that by going to this link on your BTV server:
http://localhost:8129/default.aspx

(Replace localhost with the local IP of your BTV server to access that same page from another PC.)

--
Mike
Thanks, TM. I thought that was probably where it was, but it was late last night when I was looking for it and now I'm at work. (which of course wouldn't be an issue if I could remember my ip address).

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Small correction: the PVR software has almost everything to do with it since they are the ones who recognize and abide by the flag. The flag by itself is benign.

MS chose to cave in and abide by the (CGMS-A) flag. BTV, and other PVR solutions, do not. Ergo I don't need anything to remove the flag before it gets to BTV.

BTW: CGMS-A can most certainly be used to prevent recording, not just burning to DVD, of a program. And if MCE encounters a program flagged as such it will not record it. Yes it can be used to prevent archival copies, but that is not all it is designed to do. (This is not the same, obviously, as the broadcast flag on digital broadcasts.)

--
Mike
Cool. Thanks for the info. I may have to shell out for a new blaster and give BTV a try. That's the only thing that's holding me back.

How does the cost look? I just want TV, the music stuff aint necessary.

Thanks again.

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Hey Mike,

I downloaded the demo and tried it and I can't use it.

Compared to MCE on my system it's sluggish. Watching TV on the screen while using the computer is much different from MCE. Just sizing a window stops the video for a second or two. Audio / Video was also a little out of sync.

It also seems weird watching TV in a "Windows" window with a title bar as opposed to the full winodw of MCE which is all TV with a tiny border. Resizing the MCE windows doesn't pause or stop any of the A/V.

With all of the advantages BTV offers (and there are many) I just can't switch over. I'll just use VideoRedo to convert my files.

I appreciate the information though. Thanks. Looks like a great program, I'm just spoiled by the MCE interface and smooth operation. :laugh2:

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Hey Mike,

I downloaded the demo and tried it and I can't use it.

Compared to MCE on my system it's sluggish. Watching TV on the screen while using the computer is much different from MCE. Just sizing a window stops the video for a second or two. Audio / Video was also a little out of sync.

It also seems weird watching TV in a "Windows" window with a title bar as opposed to the full winodw of MCE which is all TV with a tiny border. Resizing the MCE windows doesn't pause or stop any of the A/V.

With all of the advantages BTV offers (and there are many) I just can't switch over. I'll just use VideoRedo to convert my files.

I appreciate the information though. Thanks. Looks like a great program, I'm just spoiled by the MCE interface and smooth operation. :laugh2:
Same here. MCE just runs so much smoother for me.

But OMG, VideoRedo! How have I not stumbled across this app before?! I've been beating my brains in trying to find a way to automate stripping commercials from my recorded shows, transcoding them into iPhone format, and inserting them into iTunes.

I've been using DVRMSToolbox to strip commercials, and scheduled batch files to put the shows into the FileWatch folder for Toolbox to process. So when I wake up in the morning, I have a fresh batch of commercial-free dvr-ms video files waiting for me. But I still have to run them through a video converter to transcode them into mp4 format for the iPhone. I get up a little early just so the transcoding can happen while I'm in the shower, so I'll have my shows on my iPhone when I leave in the morning, but man....my Holy Grail is to wake up in the morning, stick my iPhone on the cradle, and watch iTunes pop up with all my commercial free videos waiting for me from the night before.

Is this possible with VideoRedo? Browsing their web site makes it look like they've got a commercial-stripper built in. How effective/reliable is it? And they have a batch file manager...do you know if I can run that from a command line, so I can use Windows Task Scheduler to run VideoRedo overnight? Shoot, even if all I had to do in the morning was insert the shows into iTunes, I'd be thrilled...that would only take a minute.

Does anyone know if VideoRedo will allow me to run it overnight to strip commercials and convert dvr-ms files into mp4/iPhone compatible files?

Thanks for any help!

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
It does pretty good commercial detection and I think people have written scripts for it. It's a great program.

The new version being beta tested now will convert your files overnight into ipod format I think.

Clayfree

Jul 3, 2007
I just upgraded my SageTv. Version 6.2 has compression for iPod and it works perfectly on my iPhone. To create a podcast you can use Nielm's webserver plugin or iPodifier. I have not set up a podcast yet but saw posts from 2 people that have both methods working.