Anyone with a Sprint iPhone 4S that can try this

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by AeroCare, Oct 24, 2011.

1. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Sprint put out a press release saying that their iPhone4s would come with the GSM Sim factory unlocked and they would later lock them with an update. If you haven't done any updates to yours have you tried an AT&T or a T-Mobile or any other carrier's sim in your phone to see if your phone is unlocked and it works on that other carrier?

I'm looking for people who can try it not looking for speculation.

People are selling Sprint 4s here on Craigslist for a nice price and I would like to know if this is true before I buy one. I don't have an AT&T sim but I will be trying it with my T-Mobile card as soon as one of these locals replies and we can get together.

2. bls8195

bls8195 Member
    Bronze

Is interesting and would like to know

3. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

From the Sprint forum users that have tried it, since I don't have a different sim to try it myself, the reports are that it is only unlocked for foreign use. Other U.S. sims will not work.

It's the same information I got from them via email, today, since I sometimes travel to Canada.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

4. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Yeah every forum has a different answer. See if what you read on another forum were correct then a phone bought in Canada could be used here because it would be foreign here. That's why I'm trying to find someone with a Sprint iPhone here that can try it.

5. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

Hmmmm... I wish I knew someone.

All I know is they said I could use any Canadian sim, when traveling, but I haven't had the chance to try it.

6. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

My problem is that usually the proverbial "THEY" are the same people who used to tell us there was an iPhone 5 coming out last month.... That's why I prefer to hear it from someone here who can try it.

7. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Thanks anyway. Someone will have one and will be able to try it if not I'll do it as soon as I can find someone local that has one.

It's like when I was told that I could not downgrade my baseband from 4.11 to 4.10 because nobody had done it. I did all my research and I'm not even close to being a hacker or anything. I found all the info I needed to back my theory right here in this forum so I tried it and it worked. I'm just sort of tired of having people repeating rumors instead of trying it and then giving an opinion.

8. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

The they I was referring to is Sprint, it came because I used their Canadian roaming plan.

9. kiublole

kiublole Member
    Bronze

i just used a mexican(telcel) sim and it worked with no problem , when i got back home telcel was roaming with att or you could choose t mobile, i don't know anyone with an att micro sim

10. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Thanks, that's great info right there. If you can get anyone to let you borrow their sim card from AT&T or T-Mobile that would be the perfect test.

11. kiublole

kiublole Member
    Bronze

hey i just tried my frined t mobile sim with my ipjone 4s from sprint andthe Apple logo came out like when you irst turn on yout phone and after that it said activation required thats all it said .. dindnt got any bars ot the t mobile logo or nothing

12. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Thanks. Time to find out what "activation required" means.

13. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

I think it means THEY KNOW! ;)

14. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Yes but who knows? iPhone or carrier? That's what has to be determined.

15. tony khoury

tony khoury New Member

hi all, i have tried my iPhone 4s sprint with atnt , and i coudn't get it to work. I called sprint and told them i am traveling to paris and i want to make sure that my phone is factory unlocked overseas , and i was shoked when they said i have to be customer for 90 days till the unlock service works. so i guess the whole international unlock thing is BIG lie. did anyone try their sprint iPhone 4s outside the usa yet ?

16. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Welcome to the forum. If you read the entire thread you usually will get your doubts cleared up before you even ask a question. I know that works for me. Check out post #9 here.