App developer type question...

Just a curiosity question, if there are any devs hanging out.

In an IOS app, can you package an updateable database with the app?

I have a brilliant idea for an app. (unfortunately I have no idea how to program). Anywho...the app would need some sort of database to store info, that would need to be updated from time to time with new info.

I'm wondering if the database is PART of the app itself, or does it connect to an external database, or is it an either/or thing?

If it's all stored on the phone and info is updated, how do you get the update out to people? Does it go through the whole iTunes store process again?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I'll be going on a limb here because I'm not sure, but I think the way devs give their updates to people is uploading them on the App Store first, and then the people will be notified that there's an update for their application and they can go download it. That's the way it works, but your question might be completely different, and I apologize if so.

That part, I get. :)

I'm just wondering about the data part of it being updated. Let's say you had a program that was basically an episode guide of your favorite show. A new episode comes out once a week. So that your user gets the latest show info, how exactly would that work?

Seems like waiting on the app store update process would get quite tedious but, that might be the best way.

Ideally it would be great to have all info stored on the phone, so it was always available. Just not sure how you would add new info as it comes in.

Just trying to get some ideas. :)

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I think I understand what you mean now. I believe that there are applications connected to servers (perhaps yours) and in order to receive the latest updates/news, the user has to be connected to the internet in order for the application to connect to the server and get whatever is new. Of course the new information is added by you to that server.

Not sure you understand what I mean, and not sure I got your point in the first place, but that's my two cents on the subject.

I think I understand what you mean now. I believe that there are applications connected to servers (perhaps yours) and in order to receive the latest updates/news, the user has to be connected to the internet in order for the application to connect to the server and get whatever is new. Of course the new information is added by you to that server.

Not sure you understand what I mean, and not sure I got your point in the first place, but that's my two cents on the subject.
That makes sense to me! ;)

Would probably make a lot more sense if I knew what I meant to begin with. : p

Thanks for the input either way.