App developers forced to give refunds

ant7701

Bronze
Mar 5, 2009
this is awesome! i've only had my phone for a month or so.....but i already have bought atleast 5 apps that I wish I hadn't. plus how many times do you see an app where all of the reviews say not to waste your money. Well.....its time developers make a decent app that works and not crashes if they're gonna charge you for it.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I had the exact opposite reaction. People can basically rent apps for 90 days now. Developers are gonna loose a lot of money.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
then they better write decent apps instead of flooding the appstore with 600 tip calculators.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This is a great idea and will do wonders to clean up the store. My app purchasing has seriously slowed down exponentially in near exact reciprocation of the crappware explosion lately.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Hm...I disagree. What other software can you purchase, use, and return, unless the product CD is defective. And you only get to exchange the CD. If the app causes problems or doesn't work as advertised then yes, a refund is reasonable. I don't think a refund is due if you just don't like the app.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I think this is a good idea, but could easily get out of hand. People aren't exactly honest all the time. What I see happening is that someone is going to figure out how to keep the app and still "return it", thereforee getting a free app out of the deal. This would be detrimental to the people that make apps that cost more than $10.
As Hippo said, there are some apps out there that are really redundant. ( how many fart apps are out there now?) Granted, each one might do something a little different, but in general, it's not really a competition when there is a flood of the same app.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
People aren't exactly honest all the time.
This is the understatement of the year.

With as many people that b!tch about 99 cent apps, this is going to drive the developers crazy and deter them from writing decent apps. The iPhone world is full of little crybabies that will use this to their advantage.

This can only strengthen the hand of jailbreakers.

sstalk

Bronze
Mar 25, 2009
Lakeside, CA
A lot of people "impulse" buy apps. I think this might add to that phenonmenom. Also, I believe in 'buyer beware' before buying anything. People will def be figuring out how to keep the apps they get a refund on. This will effect the developers, and how much they care about put out a good product.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I still don't see why the app store couldn't have a 24 hour trial. After that period, you either buy the app or it becomes non functional. Wouldn't this be a better solution?
And WTH is this: " Apple will have the right to retain its commission on the sale of that Licensed Application, notwithstanding the refund of the price to the end."
Apple will still get there cut either way. They aren't going to loose.:p

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I still don't see why the app store couldn't have a 24 hour trial. After that period, you either buy the app or it becomes non functional. Wouldn't this be a better solution?
And WTH is this: " Apple will have the right to retain its commission on the sale of that Licensed Application, notwithstanding the refund of the price to the end."
Sounds like this means the developer will lose money with every refund. If so, this should encourage app development.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

Interesting, so that means a "refund" may only be 70% of the original cost.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Apple's ballsy, but I don't see them going THAT far.

sstalk

Bronze
Mar 25, 2009
Lakeside, CA
Apple's ballsy, but I don't see them going THAT far.
If the article is correct then they will go that far "In the event that Apple refunds any such price to an end-user, You shall reimburse, or grant Apple a credit for, an amount equal to the price for that Licensed Application."

So yup, the developers lose 30% on every refund, and Apple wins either way. And we will still continue to buy apps by millions either way.:eek:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if they do end up doing that, it will be terrible.

However, I am hoping they will only resort to such measures if (and I'm paraphrasing since I can't copy/paste) the app does not work as advertised, or is not maintained well.

I just cannot imagine Apple would stick a dev with a 30% charge just because a customer didn't like the app.

Only time will tell, I suppose...

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
This is just Apple covering their ass in case another wise guy tries to pull an I Am Rich act again and they have to give customers their money back for being stupid. They wouldn't dare enable app refunds en masse and without vetting the refund process just as tightly as they do a song redownload.