App developers postings..

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Chris -> is it possible to move and create another place for the app developers? I can see more and more of them posting here on EIC - and you know, - "when things going to get hot, everybody using them"!

What I mean is that EIC forum is mainly for users of the iPhone, and with all these new apps coming every day now - we´ll see tons of posting here...you should charge these guy's for advising / banners etc.! ;)

EDIT: It's still nice to see offers and other great stuff from these developers!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i thought there was a developers section... maybe it got lost in the reorganization?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I agree and will give some thought to where I should put them. The developer's section was more to discuss "development" and have interaction with users. The latest crop of developer's on EIC have been more geared towards offering up free versions of their app.

Developers do have the opportunity to advertise, but the only one I've seen is a banner for Monkey Ball --- and that was months ago.

-Chris

Last edited:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
App Store Deals?

What about an App Store Deals category. I'm always cautious about creating more categories, but this one might make sense. I'm thinking it would include the following types of posts:

• Developer offering limited promotional codes. When exhausted, we'd lock those threads.
  • Members who come across discounts, price breaks?
Again, I'm still on the fence about creating a new section. The current threads are in the right place (as per the existing forum structure). Creating this new section might be an invitation for more App Store spam (a growing and disturbing trend).

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
The funny thing is that I offered developers the opportunity to blog their releases, but none took me up on the offer. Now that ship as sailed, as I've made changes to the blog requirements.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
What about an App Store Deals category. I'm always cautious about creating more categories, but this one might make sense. I'm thinking it would include the following types of posts:

• Developer offering limited promotional codes. When exhausted, we'd lock those threads.
  • Members who come across discounts, price breaks?
Again, I'm still on the fence about creating a new section. The current threads are in the right place (as per the existing forum structure). Creating this new section might be an invitation for more App Store spam (a growing and disturbing trend).
Chris what about a "App Store Promotion"?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Chris what about a "App Store Promotion"?
I'm concerned it will get abused. I've set up Product Announcement sections on other forums and that's happen quite a bit. I need to give it more thought. It appears some of these devs are "one and done" posters. Here are a few promo codes, now I'm gone. They get a ton of exposure at relatively zero cost. How do I know how many readers really got to use the codes? Controls of some sort have to be put in place and I sense some revisions to the forum policy.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm concerned it will get abused. I've set up Product Announcement sections on other forums and that's happen quite a bit. I need to give it more thought. It appears some of these devs are "one and done" posters. Here are a few promo codes, now I'm gone. They get a ton of exposure at relatively zero cost. How do I know how many readers really got to use the codes? Controls of some sort have to be put in place and I sense some revisions to the forum policy.
I think it's nice when someone giving away some codes for apps etc. But I can see more and more developers adding posts here on EIC - and more will come...trust me! ;)

You'll have to put up a sub-forum for them...and yes - they should pay you some money...like we pay them!