App for checking battery usage

TJL7386

Bronze
Nov 14, 2008
Michigan
Ok so I am now on my 3rd iPhone 4 in about as many weeks. My problem that I am having is my battery just won't stay charged. It charges to 100% and then after I disconnect it is down to 90% before I can even get out of the house in the morning which is usually like 20 to 30 minutes. I have tried turning off location services and bluetooth and no luck. I don't use the location services much other then facebook and a couple of other apps so I don't believe that is the cause.

Apple store keeps telling me that it can't be any of my apps that I currently have installed on my phone, but I have tried restoring my phone to different points and even create as new then re-install my apps and still seem to be having this problem.

So my question is, has any one else had this problem if so what have you done to correct it? Or is there an app that I can download that shows me just what exactly is using up my battery? I have a friend with a droid that shows what percentage of the battery is being used where on the phone so wondering if the app store has something like that.

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
It could be two things actually, charger that you have might be bad or the backup u reinstalled your new iPhone with is corrupted, you know one iPhone maybe 2 would have that issue but not 3

Let me know the result I really want to know what's going on
---

Sent from my iPad

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I know Apple said it cannot be an app, but 3 phones with the same problem can only point to software. the chances it's actually hardware for 3 different phones is very slim.
My suggestion is to start removing the least used apps till you get to your most used. Somewhere along the way, you should see a difference.
As stated above, it also could be the charger. I would suggest also testing charging off your PC with the cable (and possible a different cable as well) and see how that works.

TJL7386

Bronze
Nov 14, 2008
Michigan
How do I check my charger, although I have noticed it when it is plugged into my computer as well. I think I will start doing what "Hawk" suggested, as I share the same thought that after three different phones I don't think I could possibly have that bad of luck.

Jareknyc when you say that "backup was the issue" what exactly do you mean?

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
Before you return your iPhone i am sure you made a backup of your device on your computer, each time you exchange it you connected it to your computer and iTunes asked you if you want to restore your iPhone you clicked yes, and all your setting apps and bugs load right back on your new iPhone...make sure when you hit restore and then your ios software loads back on your phone, to click new user or new phone i don't remember exactly but don't do restore from backup...start new...just make sure you back up your contact before you do that also pictures...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
When you connect your replacement phone and sync, it restores the configuration from your last phone if you say yes to it. Otherwise you can setup as new, which means you have to manually choose all media and data to sync. It also means you lose your text messages, photos, etc. I know that can be a huge pain in the butt, which is why I suggested removing apps to find the culprit first.
With removing apps, the worst case scenario is that you take all your apps off, sync your phone to preserve your pics, email, and text, and then sync your phone. Test. If there isn't a battery drain problem with the apps removed, then you know it's not your profile. Then it's just a questions of adding your apps back on slowly.
Add a couple back at a time and watch to see if the battery starts draining quickly. I suggest hours between adding apps.

TJL7386

Bronze
Nov 14, 2008
Michigan
I've started removing the apps that are seldom used to see if I can find a difference. I have done the create a new iPhone option as well with the previous phone before I took it back to the Apple store and still had the same problem. I have to believe it is a software issue. Thanks for the help guys.