App Reviews - Annoying and Unfair

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
I've been perusing the AppStore (obviously) since it came out, and one thing I always check for is reviews. What I've been disappointed to find (and I know it's early), is a bunch of idiots writing reviews like "this sux. Not worth $1". That's not really a review!

I was reading a review of Aki Mahjong and some kid writes "It's almost impossible to figure out. Very confusing. don't waste your money." Well, if you don't know how to play Mahjong, that's YOUR fault and doesn't warrant a bad review. I really like Aki Mahjong and it's really playable IMO.

I've seen so many lame reviews, especially about price. Again, not really a review. Most apps are reasonably-priced and well worth the cost. I'll take a well-developed app that's supported versus a possibly buggy one on Installer.

I am glad to see there's a "Was this review helpful?" option though. Didn't notice that last night.

Anyone else annoyed by this?

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Yup. That and people who are giving you reviews based on their experience with the application on a different platform! Or 'yeah, this looks great. Can't wait till I download it'. What is the point of that?

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
Yup. That and people who are giving you reviews based on their experience with the application on a different platform! Or 'yeah, this looks great. Can't wait till I download it'. What is the point of that?
I think you should only be allowed to write a review if you've actually downloaded/purchased the app, too.

"This looks dumb" does not count! LOL

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
It is just like any other review(movies-books-ect.) I take most with a grain of salt. But I guess the way I look at product reviews is the overall average. If 45 out 60 people give something a low rating it makes me think twice about the product. You just have to weigh all the info and try to make an educated decision for yourself.
I thought I really want Super Monkey Ball, but now I am reading that it is really hard to play, so I have backed off and will think about it some more.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
I've been perusing the AppStore (obviously) since it came out, and one thing I always check for is reviews. What I've been disappointed to find (and I know it's early), is a bunch of idiots writing reviews like "this sux. Not worth $1". That's not really a review!

Agreed, This is so crazy. I even saw dayum fool say "I didn't buy it because its not worth a dollar!" How can you review something before test driving it?

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
I can't wait to write some reviews myself. I'm really liking Aki Mahjong!

piyf420

Bronze
Jun 19, 2008
Annoying? No
Funny? YES

Same people that complain about this are probably the same ones that look the other way on comments about LionClock Plus

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
Annoying? No
Funny? YES

Same people that complain about this are probably the same ones that look the other way on comments about LionClock Plus
I guess I don't find "reviews" that waste people's time funny. Oh well...

GizmoDVD

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I enjoyed the ones that give an application 0 stars and said "where is 2.0 Apple! this sucks". Apple should remove those.

BaLLi5t1c

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
I couldn't agree more. I was just thinking last night about how ridiculous it is that people base their reviews on their inability to download the app itself (whether it be their fault or the app store itself remains to be determined).

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
I've been making sure to click "No" on "Was this review helpful?". Idiots. :sick:

I saw someone write something like "I can't wait to download this!" the other night. LOLZ.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I've been making sure to click "No" on "Was this review helpful?". Idiots. :sick:

I saw someone write something like "I can't wait to download this!" the other night. LOLZ.
I've been frustrated by the same thing. "Can't wait to d/l this!" is not a review. "Just d/l'd, can't wait to try it!" is not a review. "Looks dumb," is not a review.

I hadn't noticed the "Was this review helpful," so thanks for pointing that out. I'll be sure to join you in tagging the lame "reviews".

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
We should start posting a "best of the worst" reviews. LOL

Here's my contribution:
(review of AIM)
"where is the upgrade for the ipod touch?"

And don't even get me started on the grammar and typos!

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
Another review of AIM:

"How do you get app on yur phone?"

:mad:

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
Ok, this is still annoying. Here's some I found today:

"Idk why I did this but it says 0 reviews so what re heck I'm a 12 going on 13 year old and had my iPhone on my bday last year october and I got first ha ha"

also:

"I haven't bought Im just bored LOL so uhhhhh I hacked my iPhone it's great does any 1 no any sources for cydia just askin."

I really think there needs to be some protocol for reviews. I am fed up with this stuff. It's junk and I imagine as a developer, it has to be annoying as crap. They work so hard to put out these apps and 12-year old boys don't want to pay $2 freaking dollars for someone's hard work.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I couldnt agree more. At first, I didn't even bother to look at an app if it had a poor score. Then I realized there is usually only a handful of actual reviews so I have to read them no matter what the review says.
I am mad because Im interested in Frogger, but there isn't one "review" on there. There is however, 30+ complaints about it being 10 bucks. Then don't fricken buy the game then!

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
There are numerous things that need to be addressed/changed:

1) You can't review an app if you haven't bought it. Period.
2) A review must be more than 10 words.
3) Price shouldn't be the focal point of your review, or the entire content of your review
4) Anything that's not really a review should be removed. "Waste of money" is not a review. It should be removed.
5) Must be 18 to review.

Someone needs to clean up the app store. It's a mess! I can't rely on reviews to give me a good idea of how well an app is.