App Sharing

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
My mother just purchased an iPhone, While I know I can sync her new phone on my computer and give her some of my apps....what happens when she syncs with her computer? Will it remove the apps?

I have the only iPhone that is sync'd to my iTunes account. Please give me the steps I need to take to share some of my apps with my mothers iPhone.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
What you need to do is (on your mums computer) log into iTunes and authorise that computer.

then, you have a few options.

1) (The easiest) - Plug your mums phone into your computer and sync whatever apps you like, making sure the manually manage box is ticked and only sync checked items (or whatever its called) then, when she plugs her phone into her own computer, set it up so it syncs everything EXCEPT apps. I think you will know how to do this, but if not, on the App tab, just untic sync apps.

2) If you both share a home wifi network, open iTunes on both machines and authorise home sharing. Then, just tick the apps you want to share to her computer and click share. The apps are then transferred wirelessley - you can also do this with all media content, such as music and ringtones. The problem is only 5 computers can be authorised on 1 account, and DLC (downloadable content / in game purchases) arent "share-able"

hope this helps, let me know if you need any more help

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Hey Shutter. iTunes 9 allows for sharing to be setup on computers on the same network but I've only found that it allows sharing of music or viedo. So what I suggest is that you copy the apps you want from the iTunes directory on your hard drive to a thumb drive or whatever and then put them in the proper directory on her computer. Hopefully when iTunes is opened it will see those copied apps. If not then you can try the -add file to library- method from within iTunes. I haven't tried this but both methods should work.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Hey Shutter. iTunes 9 allows for sharing to be setup on computers on the same network but I've only found that it allows sharing of music or viedo.
This is not true. Apps can also be shared - im finding a link

Oct 1, 2009
Beautiful state of Texas
You all are discussing sharing these applications on two or more computers, but for instance, if I do this, then how do I get the applications from my husband's computer, which I shared with, downloaded to HIS iPhone. All the applications were purchased by me before his iTunes account was even set up...something tells me we can't do this...

Karen

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
You all are discussing sharing these applications on two or more computers, but for instance, if I do this, then how do I get the applications from my husband's computer, which I shared with, downloaded to HIS iPhone. All the applications were purchased by me before his iTunes account was even set up...something tells me we can't do this...

Karen
Read the link which i posted above. You just have to authorise each other on both computers.

If you have all apps on 1 computer, then just sync to that iTunes. Im really not sure what your question is...

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Can you share paid app?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Can you share paid app?
All apps / music / podcasts etc can be shared if you follow the instructions on that link. All perfectly legal and approved by Apple

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Wow, this is awesome. I feel that it is wrong to buy an app then give it to someone for free.. If it is approved by Apple though...

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I just tried to set this up but when attempting to share an app from my computer to my mothers computer, I cannot view my applications on her computer, but I can see hers.

I am going to keep messing around with it.

EDIT::::Make sure applications is checked in preferences..
Got it now.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Good, glad its working for you. You need to have it set up and authorised on both computers. I think this is where most are failing

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Apple seems to fail to mention this in the keynote, they make it appear it does music, only music.