App Store Icons are a Perfect Square?

Discussion in 'Themes' started by partizan, Feb 8, 2011.

1. partizan

partizan Member
    Bronze

Hi guys, ever since I JB' my iPhone 4 with greenpois0n my App Square icons have all become perfect squares instead of having their corners rounded. Is anyone having the same issue. I tried searching all over the net, but so far no luck. Apple stock icons as well as Cydia icons look normal, slightly rounded.

I hope that I'm making sense in trying to describe the issue, and if not I'll try to post screen shots tomorrow.

Thank you,

2. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

Are you using a custom theme with winterboard?

3. partizan

partizan Member
    Bronze

I am, I created my own icons and SSH'd them in.

4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Do they look like this?

[​IMG]

5. partizan

partizan Member
    Bronze

No John, they look like the most perfect squares I've ever seen, very sharp corners. But only the App Store ones.

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Post a screenshot.

7. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

If these are ones you made...did you make them perfectly square?

8. partizan

partizan Member
    Bronze

I did not make these ones, I only made changed some of the Apple Stock Ones. For example, I just downloaded Google Translator and the icon is a perfect square.

John, I'll post it later tonight or in the morning.

9. partizan

partizan Member
    Bronze

photo.jpg

Here it is, look at the three icons inside the folder.

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Oh right, I thought you meant the icons in the App Store. Lol.

You must have applied something through Winterboard to have made this happen.

#10 iphonewarrior, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
  11. partizan

partizan Member
    Bronze

Thanks John, I'll keep on trying to figure it out.

12. partizan

partizan Member
    Bronze

I do not mean to hack my own thread, but how do you change the App Store icons. I cannot seem to find the icon, ie I found the Skype app, but cannot find icon. It's not displayed as "icon@2x" as the Apple native icons. Any ideas. I know John probably had an answer for me.

Thank you,

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There are several ways to do it. You can use the bundles method (easier) and create a folder within your theme with the app information and icon or you can change the icon in the Skype app folder itself. You can use SBSettings to find the app location. SBSettings > More > App Folders and then search for the app icon. They aren't always named icon@2x.png and they are case sensitive. It looks like the Skype app icon is named ApplicationIcon_57x57@2x.png.

14. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

That's weird... Apple must have changed the naming convention of one of those masked images because the theme used to apply to the App Store apps as well as those installed on your device. I know mine did.

15. partizan

partizan Member
    Bronze

Thanks Europa, as always. I'll give it a try.

16. partizan

partizan Member
    Bronze

I tried changing the Skype icon, renamed it ApplicationIcon_57x57@2x.png and still would not change. It may be my original issue with some of my App Store Icons being perfect squares. I tried removing everything from Winterboard (as John suggested that it might be WB issue), rebooted, but still have the same issue. Would you have any idea why these icons look so damn "perfect"?

17. emhcee

emhcee Member
    Bronze

No solution yet, but I'm looking into this too... it's interesting trying to figure out what the common denominator is on which ones are perfectly square and which ones still have the slightly rounded edges. I've removed all themes from Winterboard and still there are some that are perfectly square.

18. partizan

partizan Member
    Bronze

Sorry to bring this issue up again, but I think I figured out what might be causing icons to turn into perfect squares. I ran redsn0w a couple of days ago, and once I updated to 4.3.1 my icons became "normal" once again (with round edges). However, once I removed the shadows behind the icons (by deleting the following: AppIconMask.png, AppIconOverlay.png and AppIconShadow.png), my icons turn into the same old perfect squares. Anyone know how remove the shadows without having the icons turn into the squares.

Thanks again.

19. Redneck1996

Redneck1996 Zealot

Look up "No Icon Shadows iOS 4.2.1" in Cydia. Then download, and apply using Winterboard. I know it says 4.2.1 but it works fine on 4.3.1.

20. partizan

partizan Member
    Bronze

Thanks again, I'll give it a shot.