App Store is similar to Installer

Aug 28, 2007
I've come to the conclusion that the appstore is painfully close to what installer is. Ive come down to the main differences.

Appstore - Costs money for somethings, more attractive interface, most probably much faster downloading times, cost money to develop apps, profit obtainable but not guaranteed.

Installer - Free. Very easy to use interface. Free to develop.

I think installer is still my favorite overall, how about you guys.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
So, you're against paying developers for the hard work they put into developing these applications? I'm sure not. I'll pay whatever it is they want if it's a nice solid app. If you spent weeks working on a killer app, would you let it go for free?

- John

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
But you also have to think about quality. These games we get aren't full blown games there more along the lines of mini games which is great for an iPhone but not for everyone. The games being made by SDK will be better, clearer and faster.

For the tiem being I can;t decide but it seems like the App Store is goign to kick soem ass.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I can already tell that I will like the App store much much better.

1) because the interface is so much nicer and better for browsing apps

2) I am willing to pay for some of the apps because they will be ten times better

3) Like you said, the downloading times will probably be faster than installer, and we won't have to go through the pain staking death from having to wait 10 minutes for a refresh =/

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
I like jailbreaking and everything that comes with it. What they produce in June will have to outdo what installer has don for me already or I will remain jailbroken. I don't mind the idea at all of paying for apps. But as long as its free and fun no point in going back stock. I'm pretty shore what we get from the apps store is gona blow installer away. But u can never be shore until it gets here.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I certainly don't mind supporting developers that create great apps for the iPhone. That in mind, the App Store will be the only game in town. Developers cannot get paid unless they distribute their apps through iTunes. If they could, what would option would they choose? One, both? Exposure they receive from being in the App Store will be great or will it? There will most certainly be thousands of apps. From what I've read, the rev share is higher than most expected.

That in mind, the cream will always rise to the top. If an app is good, word will spread and people will find it no matter where it resides.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I've come to the conclusion that the appstore is painfully close to what installer is. Ive come down to the main differences.

Appstore - Costs money for somethings, more attractive interface, most probably much faster downloading times, cost money to develop apps, profit obtainable but not guaranteed.

Installer - Free. Very easy to use interface. Free to develop.

I think installer is still my favorite overall, how about you guys.
You have to remember the absolute compatibility an app has to have with the iPhone in order for Apple to approve it. A lot of these 3rd party apps cause conflicts, lock-ups, freezes, etc. The same ppl who make some of the apps for installer may very well be some of the same devs who will make 'official' apps, apps that will have to be tested and approved by Apple.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I don't understand why some people think they will have to choose between being jailbroken or using the Apple store. I guarantee you 2.0 will be jailbroken.That way you can keep the extensive mods you have made, keep the apps you really leraned to love over the last year and purchase high qaulity apps that you deem worthy of a monetary charge. Besides, Jobs himself said that many devs are requesting the price be free for their apps.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
I don't understand why some people think they will have to choose between being jailbroken or using the Apple store. I guarantee you 2.0 will be jailbroken.That way you can keep the extensive mods you have made, keep the apps you really leraned to love over the last year and purchase high qaulity apps that you deem worthy of a monetary charge. Besides, Jobs himself said that many devs are requesting the price be free for their apps.
Yeah those Devs but how many good apps do you see out there that aren't free? ALOT.

Then again, I get what you mean about having a jailbroken 2.0 phone. As long as Nate True doesn't make it and breaks our functionality of Nikita. :p