App Store Rankings (Paid & Free)

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I love rankings and I love that the iTunes App Store ranks the top paid and free apps.

And in the past week or so, it is interesting to see how the rankings have changed.

From day one, Super Monkey Ball was the top paid app and the iTunes Remote was the top free app.

Now, Apple's Texas Hold'Em is the top paid app while Tap Tap Revenge is the top free app.

Super Monkey Ball has fallen to #3 and Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D has come on strong at #2.

Remote has fallen to #5 on the free apps list while Pandora is the #2 free app.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
cloverfield you mean iPint right? Isn't iBeer the $$ version of the app....maybe i'm wrong?

TyWebb

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Paradise, FL, USA
How are the "Top Apps" ranked? Anyone have any idea? Are they the most downloaded this week? this month? all time?

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
BrainChallenge is 9.99 but very fun and helps keep me focused during the day.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
did someone say free pint....yeah I'll have one

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Holy cow!

In two days time, Labyrinth Lite Edition just replaced Tap Tap Revenge as the most popular free app! :eek:

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Several interesting developments:

Panagea VR goes from a free app to a paid app, thereby shooting itself up the rankings as the 3rd most downloaded paid app even though probably most of those downloads were as a free app.

"Sudoku (Free)" overtakes Tap Tap Revenge for the #2 spot on the free apps list. iTunes Remote take a bigger dive just barely making the top 10.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Units Convertor is now a paid app. Even though it's only $.99 I'm glad I got it for free when it was free. This is #1 on the paid apps but I'm sure that will be adjusted since most of those numbers came when it was free.

Recorder is now right behind Crash Bandicoot. I might just get it. It's only $.99.

An interesting app of note - "Dynolicious." It measures how fast your car goes in 0-60 seconds and other car stuff. I saw a cheaper version of this on the App Store and that one got hammered by the reviewers. This one has an average of 4 stars out of 36 reviews. But, if you read them they are VERY polarizing. At $12.99 this is one of the more expensive apps for what it does. It's #15 on the paid apps.

On the free side:

PegJump jumped to #3.

Palringo made the Top 25 at #22.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
This is a great thread. My personal favorite and well worth the 10 bucks is Enigmo. It's still in the top 10 I believe? Amazing game and original gameplay.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
There's a new FREE champion - BreakClassic. It unseated the free version of Labryinth. Apache Lander is also gaining steam at #2. Free Sudoku dropped. I personally like Sudoku Unlimited more although it's a paid app. And Tap Tap Revenge is steadily falling - it's at #10.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
BreakClassic enjoyed a great run on the free side and is now a paid app. I guess the smart ones are those who got it when it was free.

Jawbreaker took over the number one spot on the free side.

One interesting note on the paid side: Koi Pond has been enjoying some success at #5. It's an interactive Koi Pond for $0.99. Not sure if I would get this.

I DID get Crazy Lighter though. At least that's free.

I just wonder when the "useless" apps wil slow down and we will start getting a rush of useful apps.