App Store update not working

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
always heard such great things about Apple and then I get an AC adapter/charger that it tells me "may not work" ?
Don't trust a charger that's not made by Apple or is not certified by Apple. They can be dangerous.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Don't trust a charger that's not made by Apple or is not certified by Apple. They can be dangerous.
I've been quite lucky with the non Apple made chargers. Someone on eBay continued to send them to me for free as they were not lasting but each one for 2 weeks. But they are cheap and work. I stopped getting the message as well of not compatible or may not work.

TomT

Jun 29, 2014
I've been quite lucky with the non Apple made chargers. Someone on eBay continued to send them to me for free as they were not lasting but each one for 2 weeks. But they are cheap and work. I stopped getting the message as well of not compatible or may not work.
thanks !

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
not sure...it was shipped with the IPad so surely would think it would be compatiable even if not made by Apple...
Was the iPad purchased or sent from Apple/Best Buy etc, or was it bought on a website such as eBay? I'm just thinking here. You say the charger gives the message may not work. Does it not work? I've been given that message several times with chargers not Apple made but they still work.

You're welcome. I haven't had issues with non Apple made chargers. You still have to be careful with where you get them, but to be honest I didn't know mine were non Apple made until one broke 2 weeks later. It said non Apple made on the eBay listing, I just didn't see that. But hey they are cheap and work. :)

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Apple would not put, "May Not Work." on their products. That bit of warning is a big red flag. It tells me, "Do Not Use!".

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Apple would not put, "May Not Work." on their products. That bit of warning is a big red flag. It tells me, "Do Not Use!".
I think, if I read it correctly, we're all referring to when the charger is plugged in. But either way, a charger wouldn't say may not work when plugged in, if it was made by Apple.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I think, if I read it correctly, we're all referring to when the charger is plugged in. But either way, a charger wouldn't say may not work when plugged in, if it was made by Apple.
Yeah, he said, "A charger that tells me may not work.". I took that as print on the charger. :confused:

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Actually I was thinking the seller. Like on eBay selling a Chinese knock off.
Oh I'm not sure about that. I was a little nervous about buying my chargers off eBay. To be honest I didn't even think about them being not made from Apple. I forgot there are people that make stuff not made by the company themselves. But luckily they still worked and haven't messed up my iPhone. I don't see how it could, but I guess it's possible.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't see how it could, but I guess it's possible.
Third party chargers and cables can damage the iPhone. Apple chargers were engineered and designed to work correctly with the iPhone and to be safe. Cheap knockoff chargers don't provide consistent, filtered power. They have ripple through that can damage the phone's circuitry and they can start fires and even cause electrocution.

The problems and safety issues caused by low quality Chinese chargers became bad enough that Apple instituted a Power Adapter Tackback Program in 2013. The circuitry in Apple chargers is complex, innovative and smooth. Unlike the counterfeits, it provides a constant voltage and regulated current.

These comparison images show how the non-OEM charger is overworked, has four times the ripple and can't deliver the same amount of power that the Apple product deliver.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Third party chargers and cables can damage the iPhone. Apple chargers were engineered and designed to work correctly with the iPhone and to be safe. Cheap knockoff chargers don't provide consistent, filtered power. They have ripple through that can damage the phone's circuitry and they can start fires and even cause electrocution.

The problems and safety issues caused by low quality Chinese chargers became bad enough that Apple instituted a Power Adapter Tackback Program in 2013. The circuitry in Apple chargers is complex, innovative and smooth. Unlike the counterfeits, it provides a constant voltage and regulated current.

These comparison images show how the non-OEM charger is overworked, has four times the ripple and can't deliver the same amount of power that the Apple product delivers.
Interesting. I suppose I'm lucky then. But I'll remember this when I'm out of these non OEM chargers. I don't have charge issues besides my video wallpaper causing drainage of course.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Interesting. I suppose I'm lucky then. But I'll remember this when I'm out of these non OEM chargers. I don't have charge issues besides my video wallpaper causing drainage of course.
Do you not have an Apple charger? One should have come with your phone.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Do you not have an Apple charger? One should have come with your phone.
I have one that stays in my car for if I go on any long road trips. Then another I guess broke so I chose to buy the ones on eBay a while back. I still have a few of those left but the one I'm currently using you can see the wires inside but it's still charging, for now.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have one that stays in my car for if I go on any long road trips. Then another I guess broke so I chose to buy the ones on eBay a while back. I still have a few of those left but the one I'm currently using you can see the wires inside but it's still charging, for now.
Apple will replace it for free if the phone is still under warranty. I'm surprised it broke. They typically last for years. I have a few of them, one from 2009, and they all still work great.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Apple will replace it for free if the phone is still under warranty. I'm surprised it broke. They typically last for years. I have a few of them, one from 2009, and they all still work great.
Isn't the iPhone warranty just one year? I never purchase the lifetime or another year for any products.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Isn't the iPhone warranty just one year? I never purchase the lifetime or another year for any products.
There is no lifetime warranty on iPhones. You can extend the standard one-year warranty to two years with AppleCare+.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
There is no lifetime warranty on iPhones. You can extend the standard one-year warranty to two years with AppleCare+.
Ah ok. Yeah I never have purchased AppleCare+. Usually people get that just in case they drop it. But luckily I've never dropped it to the extent where it breaks or cracks.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ah ok. Yeah I never have purchased AppleCare+. Usually people get that just in case they drop it. But luckily I've never dropped it to the extent where it breaks or cracks.
It's not just for accidental damage. It extends the standard one-year warranty to two years. This covers accidental damage as well as non-accidental defects on the phone and accessories for two years. It also gives you free shipping on replacements (it's $29 without AppleCare+) and extends the tech support from three months to two years.