App Store updates are PUSH!

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
I was just on my home screen, haven't hit the app store in over 3 hours today, and my phone just randomly vibrates, i looked at the page i was on (page 3) and nothing went to page 2 still nothing so i was like okay? i went home nothing there, but then a 1 poped up on the app store, so this confirms that updates are PUSH from the app store!

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
That's been happening to me for months!
Not seeing this....
I was flipping though my pages of apps today and there was no badge on the App Store icon. I open up the App store and low and behold.........

3 APP UPDATES! >Gasp<

I don't think the App store is using push notifications for updates. The App store on the iPhone will only show updates for Apps you have installed...not all of the ones you've purchased that you may have sitting in iTunes.

Just my two cents....

I apologize if this post is mean/belittling/rude....I am drunk and with intoxication comes sarcasm. Please try not to take it personal.:)

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Kuntry, if someone takes that post personal, they're a little too sensitive! I agree, though. I don't think the App Store has Push Notifications, yet. Besides, wouldn't there be a setting somewhere to adjust it if that was the case?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Kuntry, if someone takes that post personal, they're a little too sensitive! I agree, though. I don't think the App Store has Push Notifications, yet. Besides, wouldn't there be a setting somewhere to adjust it if that was the case?
Yup, I would expect to see it listed under Notifications if it was fully push enabled.

I also do not see or hear alerts for new updates, though the badge does increment sometimes - other times I need to go into the App Store and do a search or similar before it shows new updates.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I have been noticing that the App Store has been really lagging since 3.0 was released, especially when it comes to updates. My guess is the app store never fully shut down when he last checked it and kept checking for updates in the background. It just happen to finally find 3 updates sveral hours later. I would love to have seen the usage meter and battery life on the phone. Just my guess

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I have been having this ever since 2.0. It just doesn't happen as soon as they update the app. It can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day for me. I don't use the app store nearly as much as most people though.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
App Store is not push. It is simply you clicking it by accident and closing it. all it needs is a quick touch and it updates, even if you close it again.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Mine did it for like two days and now it doesn't. Maybe it was all in our heads.

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've noticed if I enter Cydia, then exit, for some reason my app store icon will show updates if any are available.

KevJD

Bronze
Aug 30, 2008
I was just on my home screen, haven't hit the app store in over 3 hours today, and my phone just randomly vibrates, i looked at the page i was on (page 3) and nothing went to page 2 still nothing so i was like okay? i went home nothing there, but then a 1 poped up on the app store, so this confirms that updates are PUSH from the app store!
Do you have "fetch" set to anything besides manual? I think I received App Store notifications when I had fetch turned on. I've never had it happen with just "push" turned on though...

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I can't believe this app doesn't come standard with PUSH along with the 3.0 software.